No announcement yet.

Hi all from a real newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome to the wonderful world of Surfnutz. It's fun, its's addictive and loads of advice to be had from the forum.
    Once you have sussed all the buttons out you can get nearly 26MPG
    It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by Lickit
      Hi all the site looks realy good,
      I am kinda bad with the typing thing but here goes, I have just bought an ssr-x surf automatic with the 2.4 td engine its my first surf and hopefuly will last longer than my last 4x4 (isuzu trooper). from what i have seen on your site it looks as though you guys have a lot of fun off road with the surfs you have, if i wanted to take mine for some more than average off roading can you suggest any importent points that need to be addressed before doing so any help will be very welcom as although i am a mech by trade i realy dont have much idea on where to start with 4x4s thanks everyone
      First thing up is to make sure that everything is as it should be.

If it is a new import.

1. Change Timing Belt as a matter of course - about 2 hour job on a 2.4
      2. Drain, flush and refill coolant including decent quality antifreeze.
      3. Oil and Filter change
      4. Fuel Filter Change
      5. Air Filter Change.

If it is not a new import, depends on what you know about it, if in doubt do the things listed above anyway.

Make sure you have decent tyres on it, Tyres make all the difference for offroading, Get some ATs or MTs if you are going to get serious in the mud.

Also don't use 4WD on hard surfaces as there is no centre diff so you will get axle wind up.

After that the sky is the limit, suspension lifts, body lifts, bigger tyres etc.

Also a good mod is to cut or ben the exhaust tailpipe so that is exits to the side behind the passenger side rear mud flap, this gets it out of the way and less prone to damage.

Hope that this helps, just have more of a look around this site and http:www.hiluxsurf.co.uk and you will see the sort of things that are done.

Cheers

Comment

thanks lucky

so what year did they decide to fit center diffs to the surfs as i have read about 1st 2nd and 3rd gen surfs on the site but not sure what mine would be as its a 93. as for the things to do i think i will have to have a look at those next weekend when my wages land in the bank since the poor thing was plucked from its little home in japan only last month and draged into the lovely british weather lol

Comment

a 93 would be a 2nd gen surf. change the thermostat & radiator cap as well
          (\__/)
          (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
          (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
            a 93 would be a 2nd gen surf. change the thermostat & radiator cap as well
            Good point, forgot that one, Oh and the drive belts while you are doing the timing belt as they will be off anyway.

Also change the oil in the diffs front and rear and if you are going in any deep water extend the diff breathers with some appropriate size plastic pipe. Stops the diffs filling with muddy water then grinding the gears to pieces.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
            X