Automatic or Manual.... The Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by joecuba View Post
    What are the manual Surfs like to drive? Is the clutch heavy?

Do they really do better MPG? How much better?
    Originally posted by blackpoolsparks View Post
    hi joe, welcome to the forum

clutch is not heavy, really easy to drive. as far as mpg goes it all depends on how u drive. all being equal you wouldnt really notice the difference in fuel efficiency
    And sparks has a very nice black lifted 2.4 manual for sale.
    Brian

Comment

my own personal thoughts would be if its being used mainly for road work then an auto box would be prefered especially in towns, if a lot of off road is to be tackled then a manual box would probably be the stronger option and be able to hold in one gear rather than having it hunt up and down between gears.

Comment

Originally posted by soramad View Post
        my own personal thoughts would be if its being used mainly for road work then an auto box would be prefered especially in towns, if a lot of off road is to be tackled then a manual box would probably be the stronger option and be able to hold in one gear rather than having it hunt up and down between gears.
        Depends what kind of off-roading though. If it's rock crawling and the like, then an auto is best. No clutches to burn out and power delivery is smoother.

Comment

Originally posted by soramad View Post

You can select a gear in an auto.
          Manual off road, as soon as you dip the clutch you loose drive.

At most meeings autos far out number manuals these days.
          Brian

Comment

well that is a pretty convincing result....
            One day at the time I guess..

Comment

Well it seems that auto's are far more popular than manual's. is this because there are a lot more auto surf's than manual surf's?. Personally, I prefer manuals so , if anyone's got a manual 3rd gen they want to swap for my auto 3rd gen, let me know

Comment

I would vote for a manual everytime, well actually the wife won’t drive an auto and she uses it to take the dogs out in, so im afraid it has to be a manual for me.
                Roy
                When ya stop having fun, Ya start getting old

Comment

Only ever driven a manual so can't really say anything about an auto
                  How can I be lost when I've got no where to go

Comment

I've driven both auto's and manuals for nearly 40 years and although a manual is usually more fuel efficient than an equivalent auto, the auto is so much more relaxing to drive, especially on road. I find these days when driving my wife's manual Corsa that if I'm exiting an M-way junction there are times I'm still in 5th almost at the top of the off ramp because I forget which car I'm in and that I need to change gear in the Corsa.

Not used the Surf off road, except the rather bumpy lanes to both the gun club and sports club, but the auto has no problems at all coping with the terrain it's used on.
                    Mike G

Comment

It is really simple... for luxury cars and big 4x4’s it has to be an Auto, but for sports cars it should be manual.
                      Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

Originally posted by PDR View Post
                        It is really simple... for luxury cars and big 4x4’s it has to be an Auto, but for sports cars it should be manual.
                        Ex-bleedin-actly!

Well put old boy!
                        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Working...
                        X