stupid tyre question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stupid tyre question

so i've never understood this tyre size business.
    it always has and alway will confuse me.

anyway, i'm interested in buying some secondhand modular wheels advertised as being (10 x 15) and my tyre size is (31 x 10.5 x 15)

will they fit?

cheers
    will
    black 1995 ssrx 3.0ltd

Originally posted by happythrasher
    so i've never understood this tyre size business.
    it always has and alway will confuse me.

anyway, i'm interested in buying some secondhand modular wheels advertised as being (10 x 15) and my tyre size is (31 x 10.5 x 15)

will they fit?

cheers
    will
    Yep, they'll fit. The 31 is the height in inches, 10.5 is the width across the top and the 15 is the bit where the alloy goes! Simple enough, but yes i had to ask too............
    Theres 2 different ways of measuring the tyres. The second is what i've got so i hope i get this right. Okay, i've got 265,70R15's. The 15 is still that big hole in the middle (the diameter of the alloy), and i think im right that the 265 is the width across the top of the tyre, the 70 means 70% of the 265 which gives you the size of the tyre wall/side from the edge of the wheel out to the edge of the tyre.
    That might make more sense if you have a look at some tyres with a tape measure, and of course if i'm wrong there's always the embaressed smilie....

Cheers, Nick.
    Last edited by SurfnTurf; 19 April 2004, 22:06.

Comment

nice one nick!

if you're wrong it just means i have a good excuse to get me some big 33" mofos and the necessary lift job.
      here's hoping eh?
      black 1995 ssrx 3.0ltd

Comment

nice one nick!

if you're wrong it just means i have a good excuse to get me some big 33" mofos and the necessary lift job.
        here's hoping eh?
        It can be changed to whatever gives you the best excuse!

Comment

Make sure you have the correct offset (the factory setting is offset 8 I think). If not then you may end up with your tyres rubbing even with 31's...

Last edited by Linda; 19 April 2004, 23:19.
          Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

31x10.5 should be run on 7 or 8" rims, on 10" rims you'll have a funny shape tyre as the rim will be wider than the tread of the tyre, like a \_/ shape. There is not a lot of pressure on the beads and may roll off if a little flat and cornering hard.

10" rims are generally for 33 or 35x12.5 size tyres. Tyres sizes are very vauge, I've yet to own a 31x10.5 that actually measures 31" high tread width will genally measure 8" or so with a ruler.
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Looks like you can get those 33's afterall......

Was i right about the other measurements?

Comment

i'm thinking i'll get them anyway and keep them for a rainy day.
                black 1995 ssrx 3.0ltd

Comment

i'm thinking i'll get them anyway and keep them for a rainy day.
                  A very muddy rainy day!

Comment

Originally posted by SurfnTurf
                    Looks like you can get those 33's afterall......

Was i right about the other measurements?
                    hehe, yeah!

10" wheel, 10.5" tyre, logical in-it? nah, lifes never that easy!!! alway some bugger making things confusing! hehe.

They will go on, tricky getting the bead to seal, but not the 'accepted' size combo.

My 16" wide Boggers are recommeded to be fitted on 12" rims, and thats stamped on the tyre wall itself!

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

We use a 7.3x13 Avon racing tyres for my stock car with 5.5" rims on the front and upto 10" rims on the back still on the same sized tyre! It pulls the tyre right out and we get round the bead sealing problem by using tubes in the tyres. The main reason for using such wide tyres is to change the diameter of the tyre - quick and easy way of changing gearing, the wider the wheel, the smaller the height of the tyre is. So it is possible to stick narrower tyres on wider wheels but just watch that gearing.
                      Cheers

Mart 870

Racing for Thomas

Comment

Working...
                      X