Oh no it happened

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh no it happened

Well the inevitable happened , driving home from work this morning looked behind to see plooms of white smoke from my rear end (the surf), thought oh bu44er the rads sprung a leak, then, oh double bu44er, I’m red lining on the temp, so pulled over and waited 15 minuets, got out to look under the bonnet only to find the entire contents of my radiator and some oil all over the road, hmmm, not good I thought.

Any way managed to get her home, filled up the radiator and run the engine, but the radiator was not leaking, so I can only assume the head is fried.

Oh no, what to do, its going to cost me, something in the region of £600 to get her sorted, if I do all the work myself, these are just rough prices I found on the net, has anyone who has done this (I’m sure there is many) found the best suppliers, both quality and price, I’m on a tight budget, to say the least.

Head £380
    Radiator £122
    Gasket set £32
    Head bolts £36
    Cam belt £21

Not sure but I think the springs I had off Toby are cursed, they were on Jokers truck (died) then Toby had them for his (died) then I had them for mine (died), only had them this morning, think ill sell them on, anyone interested ????
    Roy
    When ya stop having fun, Ya start getting old

oh cr@p

Sorry mate
    One day at the time I guess..

Comment

Definitely dodgy springs. Stormy may be breaking a 2.4??

I would only go to Stevo or Toyota for the head. Any other is probably of the old design (or worse) and will only fail again.

Replace your rad cap and stat before pooping your pants and maybe get the coolant sniffed, but it's probably your head

Comment

i have recently found out, my head came from milners.it was in the region of £500 quid but was a genuine toyota ,upgraded head, give them and roughtrax a go roy.
        Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

My 2.4 which I am breaking has a new head on it that has done less than 20miles. I'd be willing to sell it complete with cam-shaft, valves etc. for £200 (the bare head cost me over £250). Getting it down to Derby might be a small problem, but if a surf-train can be arranged...?

I've got the radiator too, but I can't 100% vouch for its condition.
          Paul </Slugsie>
          Immortal.so far!

Comment

Originally posted by Slugsie View Post
            My 2.4 which I am breaking has a new head on it that has done less than 20miles. I'd be willing to sell it complete with cam-shaft, valves etc. for £200 (the bare head cost me over £250). Getting it down to Derby might be a small problem, but if a surf-train can be arranged...?

I've got the radiator too, but I can't 100% vouch for its condition.
            Thanks for the offer, ill keep that in mind but i'm unsure what to do at the moment, i've been looking on eBay at trucks so don't know if i should break mine and buy another, need to speak to the wife when she gets home, as she loves the truck.
            Last edited by roylittle0; 2 October 2008, 17:15.
            Roy

Comment

No problem. You're basically in the same predicament I was in. As I was in the process of doing the head swap myself, I suddenly found I had the cash available to buy a 3ltr, and there was a bargain one on ebay that was just up the road. It was a hard choice to make.
              Paul </Slugsie>
              Immortal.so far!

Comment

No problem. You're basically in the same predicament I was in. As I was in the process of doing the head swap myself, I suddenly found I had the cash available to buy a 3ltr, and there was a bargain one on ebay that was just up the road. It was a hard choice to make.
                Ok, so the wife said she wants to keep this Surf (i wear the trousers, honest)so yes i would like the head, i can collect this sunday, its the only day i can borrow the wifes car, so this sunday or next sunday would be best, let me know anyway
                Roy

Comment

Sorry to hear the heads gone Roy.Give Rick (vagrant2) as he did have a virtually brand new head he was wanting to sell so he's worth a go.
                  https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Well, I'm around this Sunday, so that shouldn't be a problem. Just got to get the thing off first.
                    Paul </Slugsie>
                    Immortal.so far!

Comment

Well, I'm around this Sunday, so that shouldn't be a problem. Just got to get the thing off first.
                      I can come with tools, thats not a problem. Practice will do me good.
                      Roy

Comment

Given recent weather I'll have a go at getting the head off tomorrow evening. If I don't get the chance, or run out of time, then expect to get oily on Sunday.

I'll PM my address/phone number.
                        Paul </Slugsie>
                        Immortal.so far!

Comment

So I managed to get out of bed after 4 hours sleep to day (just finished night shift), started to strip of the head, got the job done by 4 o’clock then spent some time cleaning the engine up and the top of the block, anyway the head is definitely the problem, as soon as I removed the exhaust manifold, water poured out of no 2 cylinder, so looking at the head there is a hairline crack between valves on cylinder 1, 3, 4 and a great split in cylinder 2. :

I have checked the block and haven’t found any problems, so quite happy with that.

All I need to do is put it all back together when I get all the bits, and see what spare parts I am left with.
                          Roy

Comment

we'll keep fingers crossed for you Roy that everything goes ok with it
                            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Keep your fingers crossed for tomorrow when i go up to pauls to take the head out, hopefully it wont take as long as mine did, now i have had the practice.
                              Roy

Comment

Working...
                              X