X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CAT removal - opinions reqd

Good idea or not???
    Will it work??
    Will I get idle probs (this comment was made by a US forum member in an email - I'm wondering whether their emissions set-up is different from ours???)

Polite constuctive comments please
    NO WORRIES!
    Rusty

Originally posted by rusty
    Good idea or not???
    Will it work??
    Will I get idle probs (this comment was made by a US forum member in an email - I'm wondering whether their emissions set-up is different from ours???)

Many cars can have a Cat pipe fitted IE remove the Cat and fit a pipe in place .
    Normally this is OK because the Lamba sensor is pre cat and only measuring the fumes entering the cat . Some vehicles have post lamba sensors so it is a no no.
    Idle may be affected due to low back pressure from no cat resistance

Rick
    Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Good idea or not???
      Will it work??

Had the cat removed from my last car, as long as you leave the lambda sensor in, the engine thinks its still got the CAt fitted. If you remove the sensor then you need to get the engine re-tuned.
      From 92 on the CAT must be fitted for the MOT, so you could remove it between tests.
      Left my sensor in place on the car, ran like this for 2 years, lots more pull on acceleration other than that no side effects.
      Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
      My choice
      Back off

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
        Many cars can have a Cat pipe fitted IE remove the Cat and fit a pipe in place .
        Normally this is OK because the Lamba sensor is pre cat and only measuring the fumes entering the cat . Some vehicles have post lamba sensors so it is a no no.
        Idle may be affected due to low back pressure from no cat resistance

Rick
        There is a sensor pre cat on mine but having spoken to Corey in the US he said that when he removed his CAT the truck wouldn't idle properly. I've got to get my exhaust replaced (going for a full stainless system) and the guy who will do it will do me a CAT back system with a piece to allow me to drop the CAT out and put it back for the MOT. with this in mind I've got nothing to lose by trying it.
        Have a various number of mods going at the moment so hopefully all together they will improve the performance
        NO WORRIES!
        Rusty

Comment

There is a sensor pre cat on mine but having spoken to Corey in the US he said that when he removed his CAT the truck wouldn't idle properly. I've got to get my exhaust replaced (going for a full stainless system) and the guy who will do it will do me a CAT back system with a piece to allow me to drop the CAT out and put it back for the MOT. with this in mind I've got nothing to lose by trying it.
          Have a various number of mods going at the moment so hopefully all together they will improve the performance
          Rusty
          You may find a difference just with the stainless exhaust alone . They sound better and tend to not clog up so fast with soot etc . Plus they last forever !!

Rick
          Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
            Rusty
            You may find a difference just with the stainless exhaust alone . They sound better and tend to not clog up so fast with soot etc . Plus they last forever !!

Rick
            Due to the position of my LPG tanks I'm getting rid of the resonator box at the back. I'm having the silencer box made slightly larger to compensate then the pipe out at back behind the mud flap. Hopefully with that there should be a damm sight less back pressure so low end grunt should be improved.
            Am doing the
            plugs
            leads
            air filter
            air box pipe mod - http://www.yotatech.com/~corey/tech/blu_intake/blu.htm
            exhaust
            NO WORRIES!
            Rusty

Comment

Rusty, you need the o2 sensor, it should be what tells the LPG ECU how the engine is running, to adjust mixtures, lose the cat, LPG dosn't need it, but don't go to much wider or short with the exhaust pipe, or lots of remapping is needed.

If you take it into the MOT running on gas, they should test it on gas so emissions are no bother even without the cat. (I think the 'runner is old enough to quailfy for a no-cat test on petrol anyway, but not sure)

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
              X