towing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• towing

any one else have the same problem, have recently got our surf,had tow bar put on and we ave a spacer and alko tow ball, just done a caravan swop this week end, and with and without a alko stabliser the spare wheel gets in the way and not enough clearance under wheelthe brake handle and stabliser doesn't leave any clearance, need at least 5 inches to give complete clearance,(hope i have described it well enough!!!!! i know what i mean!!!)
    both time the spare wheel has had to be removed, this is going to be a complete pain in the ...............!!!!!! if we have to do this all the time will a drop plate work,done't know much about them any ideas thank
    By the way the surf pulls like a dream and we hd lots of heads turning to look at us!!!!
    Last edited by ian and jean; 18 April 2004, 20:33.

have you got spare slung on the back then. also check thread surf towing at bottom of main page
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

towing

yes the spare is slug on the back and three bolts to undo

Comment

Bugga!
        (\__/)
        (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by ian and jean
          any one else have the same problem, have recently got our surf,had tow bar put on and we ave a spacer and alko tow ball, just done a caravan swop this week end, and with and without a alko stabliser the spare wheel gets in the way and not enough clearance under wheelthe brake handle and stabliser doesn't leave any clearance, need at least 5 inches to give complete clearance,(hope i have described it well enough!!!!! i know what i mean!!!)
          both time the spare wheel has had to be removed, this is going to be a complete pain in the ...............!!!!!! if we have to do this all the time will a drop plate work,done't know much about them any ideas thank
          By the way the surf pulls like a dream and we hd lots of heads turning to look at us!!!!

The problem with a drop plate is 2" is the biggest drop you should use, but even using that it would push the front of the caravan down and not give you a lot of ground clearance. your only other option is to keep removing the spare or do the 2" suspension lift and fit a drop plate. Hope some of this helps.
          I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

Oh well it will build up hubbys muscles!!! at least we have a big boot to put it in!! but she looks naked with out her spare tyre!!

Comment

I wouldnt worry as your outfit will turn heads as it is. no one else will notice
              (\__/)
              (")_(")

Comment

Have you considered converting it to an under slung spare, I believe its been done by some of the guys on here. BTW, nice Surf.

Comment

Towing.

Back up to the caravan from the left hand side on the angle its a bit harder but it works for me. It pushes the spare wheel away from the Jocky wheel and the hand brake. Also you can swing the wheel open to give you more access at this point.
                  Good luck
                  Geoff.
                  Rubblebags (Geoff).

Comment

Originally posted by ian and jean
                    What model of ALKO is it? We have the AKS 1300 which works fine, we were told though when we were thinking of upgrading that we would not be able to have the AKS 2000/2500 because of the clearance.

Comment

The only time I have worried about my spare was when I had the outfit almost jack-knifed ( the first time I reversed it).

Like Geoff says, if the spare is going to foul the jockey wheel winder when hitching/un-hitching, swing it out of the way. Most modern jockey wheels can be removed easily after hitching up........and they are much lighter than a Surf spare.
                      It's only a hobby!

Comment

alko 2000 and reading between the lines means we have no choice but to remove it the stabiliser and caravan brake handle(when off) still now enough clearance even to open and shut door,!!!!!! THE TWO THINGS WE REALLY LIKE AND TOGETHER THEY GIVE US TROUBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

ian and jean
                          Had a chat with me mate whos a bar fitter and is putting one on mine end of April.. he said because i have the MK2 i wont have any problems as i have the 2000 alko stabilizer aswell, all i will have to do is maybe open the wheel out, but i take it from your posts its the opening of the rear door on yours thats the problem because its a MK3 it opens up and over like an estate cars rear door.......
                          i can assure you Isuzu Troopers/Big Horns, Mitsi Pajeros/Shoguns and even Vauxhall fronteras all have this trouble, maybe a 2" spacer instead of a drop plate could do the trick, and have you enquired about the posibility of a swan neck tow ball, www.alko.co.uk its a pdf file but thet have them for around £18, but whatever you do its a sensible looking match up and looks coooooooooooooooooooooooooool too
                          Last edited by firefly; 19 April 2004, 21:40.
                          if a politition is talking its lying

Comment

thanks for info, that was out next look at a fixed swan neck,
                            We already have a2" spacer, wish we could raise the tyre frame!!!! it is the hand brake on the caravan that is part of the problem and if we had a hard left or hard right, it would rip the bottom of the tyre, never mind hope you don't have the same problem will be looking at the alko site and see what we can find, It won't be so bad now, but hubby will get older!!!! and lifting the tyre!!!! (he will kill me for that!!!he is only 47)

Comment

Working...
                            X