New Boy in Class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Boy in Class

Bought myself a Surf just last week and have some (probally very basic) questions...

(1) Whats the little RED button in front of the auto gearstick for?

(2) Whats the best set up for standard road driving to get the best
    fuel economy figures? I'm currently running on tyres at approx 30psi, Over-Drive ON, Two Wheel Drive. Is this all right?

(3) I want to fit a tow bar....do I need anything special or will my local tow bar installer have such a thing in stock (Also whats it likely to cost)

Apart from the above having lots of fun (and getting a few looks)

Strange how you never notice how many Surfs are about until you buy one

Originally posted by yuley
    Bought myself a Surf just last week and have some (probally very basic) questions...

fuel economy figures? I'm currently running on tyres at approx 30psi, Over-Drive ON, Two Wheel Drive. Is this all right?

(3) I want to fit a tow bar....do I need anything special or will my local tow bar installer have such a thing in stock (Also whats it likely to cost)

Welcome to our surf madhouse.
    Don't use 4 wheel drive on the tarmac you will get wind up on the transmission and cause damage. It is however ok for a short time in a straight line (don't turn with it selected) just to keep things ticking over but use it mainly ice, snow, mud etc.
    I run 33psi in my tyres but thats personal preference i found at 30psi they squealed to much but then it also depends on what tyres your running.
    Mines a manual so will let the auto boys and girls answer the other two.
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

the auto gearstick only moves out of 'p' when the ignition is on and the brake pedal pressed, so the little red button lets you move the lever out of 'p' without the ignition on.
      [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

....................(3) I want to fit a tow bar....do I need anything special or will my local tow bar installer have such a thing in stock ..............

If they claim ignorance of the Surf, just assure them that the tow-bar from a 4Runner will fit, many won't believe you but be insistant, the 2 vehicles are 99% identical.
        Maurice
        Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Hi
          If you struggle to get a towbar give me a shout I can get you a Witter at £98 delivered to you
          Cheers
          Keith
          I never ever apologise for anything. http://www.onestopshopformultimedia.com/smile.gif If you dont like it I am sorry but thats the way I am

Comment

I found tow bar companies were interetsing - the first two I called said they could fit to anything and then when I told them what car I had said they had never heard of it. The third (and one I used) knew all about surfs, and came out to have a look before ordering in the tow bar to make sure he got the right one. He then came back 3 days later and fitted it - It cost me £195 including labour, but he was there 1 1/2 hours and did a really good job.
            I guess it would be cheaper if you did it yourself but I just didn't have a clue how.

Have fun with the new car!
            Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

I fitted a bosal towbar on the weekend. It was only £70 + vat but was a total pain in the a**e to fit, (you have to slide part of it inside the chassis). I also had to cut two small slots in the bumper as it was rubbing (slightly) against the back.

In hindsight I should have gone for the witter above but I needed it urgently for a house move.

Oh yeah, It obviously shown as suitable for Uk 4runner but all the bolt holes are on the surf.
              '94 3.0TD SSR-G Limited Green over Silver, mmmmmmmmmm!

Comment

Whats the best set up for standard road driving to get the best
                fuel economy figures? Over-Drive ON, Is this all right?
                Something I was going to ask actually.
                Does anyone know if there's much difference in fuel consumption with Over-drive on or off?

Comment

Overdrive reduces your revs when cruising and thus reduces your fuel effciency. Most people leave it on all the time and would just turn it off when overtaking.
                  '94 3.0TD SSR-G Limited Green over Silver, mmmmmmmmmm!

Comment

Originally posted by Jonnyboy
                    Overdrive reduces your revs when cruising and thus reduces your fuel effciency. Most people leave it on all the time and would just turn it off when overtaking.

Jonnyboy.

Think you mean reduces your fuel consumption not efficiency - sorry just being picky (I'll go and have a word with myself now).

Anyway around town you will actually find improved economy if you leave the overdrive off. The Surf doesn't like to be laboured and the engine has to work harder and as such the economy suffers (apart from the economy for the fuel companies).

Generally I leave my overdrive off unless I am going to be consistently going over 45 - 50 mph.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by lucky

Jonnyboy.

Think you mean reduces your fuel consumption not efficiency - sorry just being picky (I'll go and have a word with myself now).

Anyway around town you will actually find improved economy if you leave the overdrive off. The Surf doesn't like to be laboured and the engine has to work harder and as such the economy suffers (apart from the economy for the fuel companies).

Generally I leave my overdrive off unless I am going to be consistently going over 45 - 50 mph.

Cheers
                      Thats what I've been doing up to now too.
                      Cheers!

Comment

(2) I'm finding O/D off ECT on best for round town driving ( I find my exhaust is less smoky if the truck is not labouring). I'm up and down the M1 all week and unless its a car park O/D on ECT off for cruising at 70?MPH.

(3) I fitted one from the Towbar Warehouse. £124.50 inc VAT for the complete kit, including electrics and the annoying buzzer for when the indicators are working.

Enjoy your Surf!
                        It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil

(2) I'm finding O/D off ECT on best for round town driving ( I find my exhaust is less smoky if the truck is not labouring). I'm up and down the M1 all week and unless its a car park O/D on ECT off for cruising at 70?MPH.

(3) I fitted one from the Towbar Warehouse. £124.50 inc VAT for the complete kit, including electrics and the annoying buzzer for when the indicators are working.

Enjoy your Surf!
                          Phil.

Reckon you should try upping your tyre pressures to 33 all round. Seems to work well on 265/70/15.
                          Cheers

Comment

Thanks for the info guys & girls....let you know how I get on.

Comment

isn't overdrive the thing that's like an extra gear after 4th?
                              and you can turn it off for going up hill/overtaking surely it makes no difference driving around town?
                              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Working...
                              X