Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tailgate window switch and ECT switch

what do you reckon is the problem,

1) when my ECT button inside the car doesnt do anything at all, doesnt even make the light come up on the dash, and im 100% sure thatit doesnt affect the running of the car because ive done some simple tests...

2) my rear window switch inside the car, will let the window down, but wont make it go up again.
    i have to get out the car with the key, and put it in the lock at the back to electrically make it go up. it does not get stuck, ive replaced the motor and greased everything up.

cheers in advance!
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

nobody knows!
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

The first thing I would check with the ECT switch is if it's plugged in. After that take it out and check that the switch works by using a multimeter acros the terminals. After that I haven't got a clue.

With the rear window switch it could be that one of the contacts is fubared ( I had this happen to mine) it would go up but not down. I went to Toyota and spent a hidious amount (over £30) for a brand new switch which didn't have the correct fittings and needed modifying to work.
      I may have an old switch in the shed at home from when I got a centre console which I could send for you to try (at work at the moment so unsure, really must go through the shed some time, if I can get in the door).
      Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
        The first thing I would check with the ECT switch is if it's plugged in. After that take it out and check that the switch works by using a multimeter acros the terminals. After that I haven't got a clue.

With the rear window switch it could be that one of the contacts is fubared ( I had this happen to mine) it would go up but not down. I went to Toyota and spent a hidious amount (over £30) for a brand new switch which didn't have the correct fittings and needed modifying to work.
        I may have an old switch in the shed at home from when I got a centre console which I could send for you to try (at work at the moment so unsure, really must go through the shed some time, if I can get in the door).
        cheers mate.
        where does the ect plug in?

is it worth just popping out the 2 switches with a screw driver and having a butchers?
        do they come out that way?
        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Yes they pop out quite easily. If the rear window switch feels jammed, pop one of the coin holders out, then you can push it out from underneath.

The wiring to the ECT switch should be just underneath the switch (actually it should be connected to the switch).
          Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
            Yes they pop out quite easily. If the rear window switch feels jammed, pop one of the coin holders out, then you can push it out from underneath.

The wiring to the ECT switch should be just underneath the switch (actually it should be connected to the switch).
            cheers for that. ill go and take a look in a bit
            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

My rear window has just started doing that too, down but not up from inside that cab. not been bothered to have a look yet but my thoughts were of a fooked switch. good luck getting it sorted and if you find anything interesting or unexpected let us know might help when i get round to it.
              it never rain it pours! glad I got the 4X4

Comment

I've just had a hunt in the shed, and I do have a rear window switch. I haven't a clue as to whether it works or not, but if you want to try it pm me your address and I'll bung it in a jiffybag Tuesday.
                Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Re: The rear window switch, it probably needs cleaning. Mine was acting up recently so I bought some electrical contact cleaner spray and sprayed the top of the switch in situ while repeatedly pressing the up a down positions.
                  Now works fine.

Re: the ECT switch, there's four wires, 12v, earth and two for illumination.
                  When activated, (switch pressed in)12v is sent to the shift solenoids via the ECU for an extra 10mph in each gear. Sounds like yours is either unplugged or there's a break in one of the wires.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                    Re: The rear window switch, it probably needs cleaning. Mine was acting up recently so I bought some electrical contact cleaner spray and sprayed the top of the switch in situ while repeatedly pressing the up a down positions.
                    Now works fine.

Re: the ECT switch, there's four wires, 12v, earth and two for illumination.
                    When activated, (switch pressed in)12v is sent to the shift solenoids via the ECU for an extra 10mph in each gear. Sounds like yours is either unplugged or there's a break in one of the wires.
                    cheers mate.
                    i took the ect switch apart today to see whats the problem. i cleaned the contacts and i noticed that it does not illuminate, nor does it change the gear changing or duration. in my 2.4 if i keep a constant speed and then press the ect button it immediately changes down gear.
                    i wonder if the 12v is split somewhere. does it come right from the ecu?

i might swap over my ect switches to double check its not a faulty switch.
                    there is a resistor, but that may be just for the green LED, and have nothing to do with the ecu.
                    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by drunkmonkeyboy View Post
                      My rear window has just started doing that too, down but not up from inside that cab. not been bothered to have a look yet but my thoughts were of a fooked switch. good luck getting it sorted and if you find anything interesting or unexpected let us know might help when i get round to it.
                      i made a post on a DIY fix
                      http://hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=49376
                      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Working...
                      X