X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling Smego2

How can i fit something like this
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12000lb-12v-RE...ayphotohosting
    To the front of this, without it sticking out too far.

Ive seen a few out n about but they all look like they have been done on the cheap. Is it possible to have it set back a bit so its more of a snug fit.
    Last edited by si tate; 18 September 2008, 23:24.
    If its not broke don't fix it.

Have a search on Smego2's posts he has one fitted in the bumper valance I believe

Comment

Originally posted by biosurf View Post
      Have a search on Smego2's posts he has one fitted in the bumper valance I believe
      Can't seem to find how he did it mate. gunna change my thread title, see if that helps.
      Cheers anyway for pointing me in the right direction.

Comment

here you go http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...t=winch&page=4

Comment

I would get a winch mounting plate. Price on them varies so much all i can say is that they are less then £100!

Check for clearance behind the front bumper to see what you can work with.
          You'll be aiming to get the winch fairline mounted somewhere in the 'open' sections in the middle of the bumper.

Remove the bumper an try an sit the winch where it would need to go on some axle stands/jacks etc then take some measurements.

Anywhere you can get a fixing, use it. It it's not mounted correctly it will cause all kinds of damage. You'll be looking at making brackets to 'box' around the chassis ends.

Comment

Thanks alot guys.

right then first things first.
            go buy a winch.

any suggestions..............

Comment

Champion are a good 'budget' make.

Warn offer some of the best winches .... You need to sell your kids for experiments first though.

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach View Post
                Champion are a good 'budget' make.

Warn offer some of the best winches .... You need to sell your kids for experiments first though.
                champion don't seem bad at all, even the accessories are well priced.

Comment

I'd be more tempted with a Champion winch then some other similar priced models.

I've heard bad things about Britpart winches.

But then again no one goes on the net an says "my winch was ok today... probably will be next time i use it" Britpart are well priced an probably VERY popular amongst landy owners so if there is a failure your probably going to hear about it!!

If your totally new to the whole winch thing get yourself some synthetic winch rope.

In the event of a failure wire will do its upmost to trim fingers, arms, legs etc etc. The rope will just fall to the floor. MUUUUCH safer.

an on another plus point the rope fairlead wont rust in two seconds flat

Comment

hello, you could haved PM-ed

remove the crush cans t give you the extra space and then make up a plate that can be bolted directly on to the chassis ends, It was made by a gut Called Tony "muddlyjlx" and I am very pleased with it as the whole winch mount can be removed with the winch in situ.

the bottom bash plate had to be "trimmed"

I would take some pics to show you but I have to remove the bumper, bash plate and bull bar first.
                    Nissan Patrol for on-road, and a Land-Rover 110 shed for off-road :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Smego2 View Post

remove the crush cans t give you the extra space and then make up a plate that can be bolted directly on to the chassis ends, It was made by a gut Called Tony "muddlyjlx" and I am very pleased with it as the whole winch mount can be removed with the winch in situ.

I would take some pics to show you but I have to remove the bumper, bash plate and bull bar first.
                      Nice one mate, thanks for your help.
                      BTW how much did it cost in total "if you don't mind me asking" & which winch did you use.

Comment

It cost peanuts for the amount of work done but it is not for me to reveal Tony's price.

I have an wireless X9 hidden under there, it an almost unstealable position as it would be a nightmare to get off unless you know how it is mounted

there is room to get to the engaging stitch too.

If you where local I would say come have a look, I will try and get you a pic next week mate.
                        Nissan Patrol for on-road, and a Land-Rover 110 shed for off-road :-)

Comment

Originally posted by si tate View Post
                          How can i fit something like this
                          http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12000lb-12v-RE...ayphotohosting
                          To the front of this, without it sticking out too far.

Ive seen a few out n about but they all look like they have been done on the cheap. Is it possible to have it set back a bit so its more of a snug fit.
                          hi mate.

if i could offer an alternative, it looks as though you have road tyres on there.the money you will spend on a winch and plate..lets say £500.
                          for that money some decent muds would pull you through that with ease.
                          a winch, after, for when you get really brave,but in my humble opinion, decent tyres should be your very first modification/addition.
                          Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
                            hi mate.

if i could offer an alternative, it looks as though you have road tyres on there.the money you will spend on a winch and plate..lets say £500.
                            for that money some decent muds would pull you through that with ease.
                            a winch, after, for when you get really brave,but in my humble opinion, decent tyres should be your very first modification/addition.
                            Too an extent you are spot on, they are road tyres but i had been driving round that field all night doing a bit of vermin control,it was just that one patch of soft stuff that did it. Even my mate in his 2nd gen could'nt pull me out,ended up having to call the farmer "he just laughed" then ragged me out with the tractor. still fancy a winch though.

Comment

Originally posted by Smego2 View Post

Hi Smego2,

You have opted out of receiving PM's, also unless I am blind, I can't any members named muddlyjlx or similar. Do you have some contact details for him?

Thanks!
                              http://www.thekentoffroadclub.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X