Double din stereo into 3rd Gen do i need toyota brackets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double din stereo into 3rd Gen do i need toyota brackets

i have decided to fill the gap in my centre console with a double din head unit, something like the one in the link which is cheaper when bought from the states

http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/products...DVD/index.html

anyhoo as someone has hacked away my console can you tell me what i need to fit a double din head unit, do i need a toyota cage or brackets ? also what other bits should i need to get from the dealers thats missing from my console ?

also is the holes for fixing the brackets behind the trim ?

Last edited by Surf_MoFo; 15 September 2008, 15:44.
    2nd Gen 3.0td, running on waste veg oil

Toyota cage is too small (not quite double din) as is the black plastic dash trim. Youll prob have to file the sides a little to get a 2 din to fit. As for the cage you should get one with your head unit. Simply bolt 2 angle brackets to the two holes (the one in the pic with the earth attached to it) and bolt your new cage to the brackets. When you're done it should look something like this:

http://www.apspropertyfix.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Antshiel View Post
      Toyota cage is too small (not quite double din) as is the black plastic dash trim. Youll prob have to file the sides a little to get a 2 din to fit. As for the cage you should get one with your head unit. Simply bolt 2 angle brackets to the two holes (the one in the pic with the earth attached to it) and bolt your new cage to the brackets. When you're done it should look something like this:

thanks antshiel, its much clearer now, that sounds reasonably straight forward, yours looks well fitted how did you manage to keep the edges so straight when filing them back ?

yours looks really neat, nice one
      Last edited by Surf_MoFo; 15 September 2008, 20:11.

Comment

With a straight file!! you only need take about 1mm each side to ensure a snug fit so not too hard a job. The clip on surround keeps everything tidy if you're not too steady with a file.

Comment

With a straight file!! you only need take about 1mm each side to ensure a snug fit so not too hard a job. The clip on surround keeps everything tidy if you're not too steady with a file.
          ah the surround trim overlaps the facia, thats why it looks so good

i have ordered a pioneer double din head unit from the usa so i hope to be fitting it very soon

Comment

Originally posted by Surf_MoFo View Post
            ah the surround trim overlaps the facia, thats why it looks so good

i have ordered a pioneer double din head unit from the usa so i hope to be fitting it very soon
            Should be pretty straight forward. Why from the states though. You can pick them up here new pretty cheap if you look around. You'll pay import tax on it from over the pond so may not work out as cheap as you thought. I got mine for £344 + £10 p+p brand new off ebay. they retail for £599 in shops. Good luck with it anyway.

Comment

Should be pretty straight forward. Why from the states though. You can pick them up here new pretty cheap if you look around. You'll pay import tax on it from over the pond so may not work out as cheap as you thought. I got mine for £344 + £10 p+p brand new off ebay. they retail for £599 in shops. Good luck with it anyway.
              the pioneer is £227 from usa ebay and the seller will mark it as a 'gift' and put a low value on it so i dont pay much duty, the same item is for sale online for £365 so im saving a nice wee bit, and i can afford to buy it here so i would be left with buying a second hand unit for my £250 budget, im selling my alpine head unit so i hope to get £180-£200 for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Surf_MoFo View Post
                the pioneer is £227 from usa ebay and the seller will mark it as a 'gift' and put a low value on it so i dont pay much duty, the same item is for sale online for £365 so im saving a nice wee bit, and i can afford to buy it here so i would be left with buying a second hand unit for my £250 budget, im selling my alpine head unit so i hope to get £180-£200 for that.
                Will that be the right region for playing English DVDs?
                it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

no but all my movies are region free as well as any video files i will download. so playing original uki dvds is not a worry for me.

Comment

Working...
                  X