Help!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!!!!!

HELP! My car has been making a weird, intermittent clunking sound, esp going uphill and more so when I am turning left. I explained the sound to a friend and he said it could either be the CV joints or the main shaft... He has just had a look at it and said that he thinks that it is the main shaft (I have no idea what that is... but it sounds bad)

is it very bad and is it very expensive to get fixed????
    "Good at cracking bones"

I'm not sure about 3rd gens but it needs looking at, maybe a burst inner or outer cv boot and the crud has got in over time causing the cv to fail or the tri bearing at the business end.
    Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

There are a few members in your neck of the woods, see if you can meet up with someone and see what they think. you can get a half shaft from stormy cheap enough, it's the fitting that will cost unless you know some one
      www.cnpbetterhomes.co.uk

Comment

fittings no big deal really, a trolley jack, a socket set and sweary words.
        Alan

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
          fittings no big deal really, a trolley jack, a socket set and sweary words.
          OK, I can do the swearing, but no idea about the rest........
          "Good at cracking bones"

Comment

Another thing, is it dangerous to drive it at the moment?
            "Good at cracking bones"

Comment

I'm in Hove tomorow and Friday Este, if you cant find anyone who knows what they're doing!

Alan

Going out now for the footy at the pub. Text me 2moro if you want me to take a listen.
              www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

If you can get underneath and check the condition of the rubber boots/gaitors that are on both ends of the half shaft, if they are burst then a fair amount of grease will be present. hopefully someone with 3rd gen experience can talk you through the fix, I could do a 2nd gen with me eyes shut (nearly) but I dont know how it compares to the 3rd gen.

Tonyn might be able to help.
                Alan

Comment

Originally posted by tintin View Post
                  I'm in Hove tomorow and Friday Este, if you cant find anyone who knows what they're doing!

Alan

Going out now for the footy at the pub. Text me 2moro if you want me to take a listen.
                  THANK YOU!!!! Will def text you tomorrow!!!
                  "Good at cracking bones"

Comment

No probs!

Alan

Comment

If you can get underneath and check the condition of the rubber boots/gaitors that are on both ends of the half shaft, if they are burst then a fair amount of grease will be present. hopefully someone with 3rd gen experience can talk you through the fix, I could do a 2nd gen with me eyes shut (nearly) but I dont know how it compares to the 3rd gen.

Thx for the advice, but the only problem is I have NO idea what you are talking about.....
                      "Good at cracking bones"

Comment

unless you here some prolonged loud noises you should be ok, just don't go blasting it down the motorway's until you find out whats going on
                        www.cnpbetterhomes.co.uk

Comment

Got under Este's car this afternoon (dont know why as i'm crap at this mechanic stuff) There is no sign of damage to the cv gaitors, and no leaking grease or anything!

The only thing i did find was noises from the prop-shaft.
                          The front one does have a slight sound when you rotate it by hand!(but i dont know if that's normal or not)

The rear one seams to have quite a lot of play in the joint where it comes from the centre diff(i think) When you pull it up and down it moves far more than any of the other joints and knocks metaliccally???

any clues peeps?
                          Alan

Comment

uj possibly ?
                            Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

did u try driving in circles on steering lock?

Comment

Working...
                              X