We're back...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We're back...

I finally picked up my truck from Harare.
    As most of you said: drop a new battery in, check oil and water, changed the one flat tyre and bob's your uncle. I worried too much - should have remembered it's a Toyota! We did Bulawayo / Harare (500km) before changing the oil and filters and then went into Bots through Francistown.

However, later in the trip we were on our way to Botswana via the Victoria Falls when I put a big hole in my radiator and it dumped all the coolant by the time I stopped. This was just north of Hwange town and at about 9pm. After hours of waiting I finally got a tow from a big truck and pulled into the Vic Falls Hotel at about 2 am. Talk about stressfull towing experience: I only had a short metal cable and a scabby bit of nylon rope and the ###### things kept breaking.
    I got a bush mechanic in the Falls to look at it: the first obvious thing was the ###### great hole in the rad. We pulled that and sent it for brazing and pressure testing. It came back, we fitted it and turned over the engine - coolant was being spat from the gasket area at the rear of the engine. We went to Kasane looking for a new gasket - no go, so we sent the mechanic to Livingstone. He found it and fitted it. Now in the UK this usually means getting the head pressure tested first and then, assuming it's OK, getting it skimmed and a new set of head bolts but hey, this is africa so I went with it. After fitting the gasket and running the engine coolant started spilling out the exhaust - here I am a bit unclear as I wasn't standing over the guy at the time so I am unsure if he meant the exhaust pipe or the exhaust valve. Either way, he said it was "buggered" so I put the BB on a 3T truck and brought it home.

Cont.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by bundubasher; 9 September 2008, 17:56.
    @africa4x4cafe
    [url]www.africa4x4cafe.com[/url]

As most of you guys know, the 3L surf has an ali head - and is prone to "porousity" (I know as I've buggered the head before) as I said this normally means skimming, pressure testing etal but I thought we might just get away with it. Anyway, the head will come off again, get PT'd and if it's OK get skimmed and refitted. Hopefully, my outlaw will take my advice and get new head bolts or I'll send some out to him.

The oil did not look contaminated with water either at the dipstick or oil cap so I assume any leakage is in/around the exhaust ports as previously mentioned. Once I got the bad news I stopped dicking around with the engine, it's one thing to replace the head another to seize the whole futher mucking engine,

Anyway, the truck has done us good service taking over 3 tons of family and possessions 4 times between SA and Kenya plus a shitload of safaris in between so it's had a good run - I've got plans to cut it up and turn it into a hunting/game viewing rig - so if my FIL can fix it great but I think I’ll start looking for a new BB!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by bundubasher; 9 September 2008, 18:03.
    @africa4x4cafe

Comment

as you have said already, this truck has had a great life, doing what it was built for. Plenty of other great trucks out there.
      Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

I need a bigger, stronger vehicle - doubt if I can afford one though! I just need to make some money, a good 3L surf costs around 2.5k (I guess) but a LC80 starts at around 4 to 5k but then it means building the vehicle up from scratch again.
        @africa4x4cafe

Comment

i think you should come here and look again......prices have plummeted.

95 2nd gens going for 1k etc
          Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Wow! Everything I'd seen was 2-3k so I will take a closer look - thank you.
            @africa4x4cafe

Comment

welcome back Enzo.I sold a 3.0l for 1500 a few weeks ago to Danno and he is over the moon with it.I am watching another at the moment and if the price is right then i may get that one for reselling but theres a couple of days on it yet
              https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by bundubasher View Post
                Wow! Everything I'd seen was 2-3k so I will take a closer look - thank you.
                I sold my 2.4 last week for less than £1000 - it did have 270,000km's on it though!

It also had a body and a sus lift, intercooler mod, tranny cooler etc etc etc
                Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Just make sure you get a better shipper this time unlike the urine extracting pirate you used last time
                  Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

This time I intend to drive it back myself - I have some half-arsed plans about guiding a trans-africa safari in 2010! (Therefore I'll be the "support" vehicle - that's the reason for the 80).
                    @africa4x4cafe

Comment

I've banged up a quick trip report:

http://www.elphick-pooley.co.uk/expe...imbabwe_08.htm

It's not got alot of travel content but it may interest some.
                      @africa4x4cafe

Comment

Working...
                      X