2.4td convert to 3L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fatfires View Post
    as I understand it 2.4 -3.0l is a lot of work, not just a drop in!
    no doubt someone will be along in a mo with details!
    this is true.
    a guy near me will do the swap for £400 quid, but its not as straight forward as you think.unless you are an absolute wizard with wiring you are going to need to replace the loom...which aint difficult, but you have to pretty much dismantle the dash

it seems that they are so cheap now, just buy a 3.0 litre and either punt the 2.4 on or break it, to finance the 3.0 litre
    Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

[Quote] Sumo, I'd go with the turbo up-grade. Ive done the 3ltr thing and once was enough. Wasnt it Jotto. [Quote]

Here ya go Chris... it's somewhere on here !!!!!

There's always a Payback .... Ya just never ever see it Comin !!!!
      Last edited by Diezel Weazel; 9 September 2008, 16:59.
      Buncefield Burner

Comment

Andy got an intercooler with pipes and bonnet scoop for £40 at the bonnybridge breakers, keep yer eyes peeled.
        Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

ok intercooler it is, someone want to explain how it actually works how does that give u more power

Comment

Originally posted by Cant Get Right View Post
            ok intercooler it is, someone want to explain how it actually works how does that give u more power
            It cools the air going into the engine. The colder the air going in, the more dense it becomes, the more air getting into your engine. This creates a bigger bang in the engine, leaving you with more power to move a long.
            However this is dependant on your truck moving forwards, to create an air flow over the cooler. The slower you go the less cooling effect. To overcome this you can introduce a fan to move air over the cooler when moving at a slow speed.
            Hold my beer and watch this

Comment

Converting 2.4 to 3.0
              It is very cheap and easy to do...... just pick up a used 3.0Lt badge and fit that to the back of your 2.4

Seriously though I would have thought it would be much easier to sell the 2.4 and buy a 3.0 rather than mess about with changing engines or fitting intercoolers. You have already said that you are “not too mechanically minded” so why risk screwing up the legendary Toyota reliability with some bodged conversion?

I’ve driven a few Toyota 2.4 engined Hilux’s out in Africa so I do know just how sluggish they really are.
              Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

Originally posted by PDR View Post
                Converting 2.4 to 3.0
                It is very cheap and easy to do...... just pick up a used 3.0Lt badge and fit that to the back of your 2.4

Seriously though I would have thought it would be much easier to sell the 2.4 and buy a 3.0 rather than mess about with changing engines or fitting intercoolers. You have already said that you are “not too mechanically minded” so why risk screwing up the legendary Toyota reliability with some bodged conversion?

I’ve driven a few Toyota 2.4 engined Hilux’s out in Africa so I do know just how sluggish they really are.
                I do agree with you about it would be better to sell the 2.4 rather then swap in a 3.0ltr.

The intercooler shouldnt cause too much issues to the reliability of an engine.

provided the pipework is all sound so no dust/cr*p etc can be sucked in from between the airbox an the engines intake.

An the Hilux pickups (up to mk3) were all Naturally asperated. An really are on the slow side of life. The Turbo helps a lot!!

Could be worse.... could be that dog of a 3.0ltr V6!

only messin

Comment

Chris, MadMac has an intercooler on his 2.4 , drive it this Sunday (there still shit)
                  Buy a v8 rangie (if your no skint now) And I will buy drev for Wales
                  Brian

Comment

Its not so much the skint factor Bri, its the moan factor. strugling to get trailer mate, still trying though

Comment

I'm sure someone will lend you a pair of man sized trousers
                      Brian

Comment

Working...
                      X