No announcement yet.

Teenage Girl dies at Strata Florida...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teenage Girl dies at Strata Florida...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7600998.stm

This greenlaning trip went badly wrong. Why oh why did they tackle this lane alone in such adverse conditions yesterday. I was also out there on the Saturday morning in the hills North of the accident and it was pretty wet even on the surfaced lanes. I would not have dreamed going laning in a single vehicle- let alone tackling Strata Florida this weekend.
    Last edited by laser_jock99; 7 September 2008, 12:46.

Thats ###### tragic, if they were driving alone, and it seems they were then it's breaking the first rule of offroading.

My condolences go to her family.
    Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

It is tragic but they where not very smart driving through a river in that weather without testing it first by walking across...specially alone

but my condolences too..

lets just hope the strata florida is not going to be closed marked as a dangerous road
      Last edited by TobyJug; 7 September 2008, 11:18.
      One day at the time I guess..

Comment

yes its sad
        cant see em being alone but ya never know
        am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

A real shame. Strata is easily drivable in good weather, with very few hazards for a single vehicle (farmers use it all the time) but in the weather this weekend, some of the rivers may well have been impassable even in a well prepared vehicle as they flow so fast.
          Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

we saw first hand how quickly the rivers can rise.last october after a really wet night on the mountain, we had to turn round and retrace our steps as another group who were camping down the track had to break camp pretty damm quick and get out, as the rivers were rising.

funnily enough though, that afternoon, we drove sarn helen, with the sun out and a huge drop in the river depths.
            Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Shocking really, I love that area as gwh200 says we camped there last year.
              I Love Wales

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post

funnily enough though, that afternoon, we drove sarn helen, with the sun out and a huge drop in the river depths.
                Thats mountain rivers for you. Rock strata and quite steep falls. A couple of hours after the rain stops, the levels are on the way back to normal because all of the water has run off already.

When we were at SF last year, the rivers had come up a foot of so in the time it took us to drive down, meet the TBR bunch and come back up! It can be pretty treacherous if you're not expecting it.

I lived next to (about 10ft away) a bend in Afon Ysgethin (river) in Wales for about 5 years, and in the winter, it could go from a foot deep and calm enough to sit on a rock with your feet in it, to a raging torrent pushing 1ft boulders down it and banked up about 6ft against the far bank on the outside of the bend within a couple of hours of heavy rain in the mountains. It was quite scary the speed at which it changed.
                Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

hi andy.

you should have seen some of the surrey lanes yesterday.......very similair
                  Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Working...
                  X