Veg Oil Prices!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veg Oil Prices!!

Is it me or is there any reason to try to do one's bit for the environment??

I know recycling oil is the eco friendly thing to do, but surely using veg oil is the next best thing. So why is it then that the price of veg oil in the stores is the same as or dearer than diesel?. If I go to Sainsburys and get my money off voucher, I can buy diesel cheaper than their own brand veg oil! I cannot believe how much the price of veg oil has gone up over the last 4/5 months, although I wonder what or who is behind the rise!

From now on I think I will stick to the pump stuff as I can't be bothered with the hassle of emptying plastic bottles into my tank for no saving!!

Or is it just me....?

Cheers, Nick
    "The force will be with you, always!"

No, it's not just you. I started running on veg oil when it was only 40p a ltr, Less than a year ago. I think the super market's and their suppliers have jumped on the band wagon and realised there is a killing to be made from us motorists.

Comment

Go collecting its FREE,

Comment

It's not free around here, It's in such demand by the taxi drivers etc, that they are even charging for wvo

Comment

Speaking from experience (when I had Hippo) running on Sainsbury's veg is a roller coaster ride for the budget planning !!!

On the one hand you haven't got the price fluctuations of diesel which includes cuts

On the other price cuts for veg are like hens teeth encrusted rocking horse sh1t !!

Secondly when prices go up diesel goes up 1 or 2p a step, veg will likely go up 10 to 20p a go

Thirdly if they haven't got any veg you used to be able to glance at the sunflower oil, but not now, that makes veg look cheap now

Trev
          Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Originally posted by oily View Post
            No, it's not just you. I started running on veg oil when it was only 40p a ltr, Less than a year ago. I think the super market's and their suppliers have jumped on the band wagon and realised there is a killing to be made from us motorists.
            Two factors.

1 the Sunflower harvest has been very poor for the last two years

2 The old adage, supply and demand.

Comment

Its over £2 a litre from Somerfield...

However, the cost of veg oil has sod all to do with the fact that a very small percentage of motorists world wide use it. It's more to do (as the previous poster said) with the poor harvests for the last two years, the general price rises, and the cost of transporting foodstuffs.

The high cost does make for a nice conspiracy theory though
              Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Working...
              X