What do you think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think?

Read a few things about this on another site, But what do we think in this country?
    The head gasket we user blocks off 85% of the water ways from the head to the block, now with all these heads going pop and costing a small fortune. What would be the result if we just opened up half or all the blocked channels in these gaskets?
    What is your opinon on this?

G
    Always assume the worst.....Anything less is a bonus!!

The gasket I used was a genuine Toyota one and compared to a milners supplied one was exactly the same.
    My reckoning is that the smaller holes reduce the water flow to allow a complete flow around the block. Water will take the least resistance route so by reducing some holes it will allow even flow all round. I can't imagine for one moment that Toyota supply gaskets with holes deliberately blocked off.
    Just my opinion.
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

Originally posted by Koi
      The gasket I used was a genuine Toyota one and compared to a milners supplied one was exactly the same.
      My reckoning is that the smaller holes reduce the water flow to allow a complete flow around the block. Water will take the least resistance route so by reducing some holes it will allow even flow all round. I can't imagine for one moment that Toyota supply gaskets with holes deliberately blocked off.
      Just my opinion.
      i agree, gaskets shouldnt be tampered with, all head gaskets are like this not only toyota
      [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
      [size=5][/size]
      [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

not wrong

I'm not saying its wrong, its just it seems strange that they would design channels both in the head and the block, and them just block them off?
        I hear what you are saying about even flow, but why not just make the channels smaller? But now I hear you say that was the problem in the first place with the heads cracking? umm it just seems like one of those round and round things, one just leads to the other!

G
        Always assume the worst.....Anything less is a bonus!!

Comment

Originally posted by speedymacfish
          I'm not saying its wrong, its just it seems strange that they would design channels both in the head and the block, and them just block them off?
          I hear what you are saying about even flow, but why not just make the channels smaller? But now I hear you say that was the problem in the first place with the heads cracking? umm it just seems like one of those round and round things, one just leads to the other!

G
          A lot of the holes and large galleries are there from the block and head casting process and are not required for the coolant passage . As Koi says these need to be regulated for flow purposes aswell . Not all blocks and heads are identical during the casting so the only thing to regulate the flow is the head gasket .

Rick
          Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Working...
          X