yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ex Supra Owner Looking To Join The Lux Massive.4 runner - hilix 3L or 2.4 pet or d

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ex Supra Owner Looking To Join The Lux Massive.4 runner - hilix 3L or 2.4 pet or d

Hi all,

just sold my modified import supra TT to save some cash for impending mortage :blink: and im looking to get a hilux, HOWEVER i dont know what i should be looking for.

is the 4 Runner the import/export hilux, what model variants are availabe. is the 3.0 more reliable than the 2.4.

Some pointers would be appreciated.

paul

Hi Paul nice to see you here. The Surf is the import, and in my opinion the 3.0 gen 2 is the better of the models, then again I'm biased.

Do a search for varients i.e
    SSR
    SSRV
    SSRX
    SSRG etc

Comment

3 litre is more reliable, more powerful and not really any more thirsty than the 2.4. The advantage of the 2.4 is that it's even cheaper.

The petrol is quicker and smoother but short of torque (what with not being a diesel) and a bit dead in the mid range. With the petrol, you need to budget for a head gasket change around 70,000 miles or buy one that's been done. Diesels are pretty strong (the 3 much more than the 2.4) but are knocking on a bit and tend to crack the heads at around 10-15 years old. You need to be sure the cooling system is all working properly, then there's not much that'll go wrong with them.

Don't get too hung up on models, they are all specced to order from different base levels so it doesn't mean a great deal. And don't rush into buying one, there are loads around and they're all cheap.

Comment

Welcome to the nut house ......Beware the Squirrel

Stein will say petrol .......... Off road diesel

The 3ltr d is the better But starting to show the same problems as the 2.4

read here for some good advice...........

http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/info/faq.htm
        ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Well he aint come back so i guess he's gone and bought a pajero
          Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

thanks for the replies.

The only off roading i will be doing will be visiting the in-laws up in wales where they live on a hill in the middle of nowhere.

Petrol version particularly the 4runner appeals due to a) the cost of fuel and b)its a uk version which i assume makes things a bit easier with repair etc.

What costs are involved with head change.

thanks

Comment

There's no problems getting parts for imported Surfs, so don't wory about that.

New head fitted by Steveo is about £1000 +vat
              Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Fargo View Post
                thanks for the replies.

The only off roading i will be doing will be visiting the in-laws up in wales where they live on a hill in the middle of nowhere.

Petrol version particularly the 4runner appeals due to a) the cost of fuel and b)its a uk version which i assume makes things a bit easier with repair etc.

What costs are involved with head change.

thanks
                Head change on a 2.4 or 3l diesel will be about 1200. Head gasket change on a V6 petrol will be about 800.

Petrol is a very nice drive, but it's thirsty (17-21 MPG compared to 21-25 for a diesel) so the fuel cost thing doesn't really work. 4runners and surfs are 95%+ identical so no issue on parts with either.

The only real advantage of a runner is the insurance is about 2/3 of the price.

Comment

I got a 3l here now that i just bought with a suspect head gone but i gave the truck a quick check over yesterday and took it for a 20m run and i had no probs with it.i will be getting the head checked and if neccessary i will put another head on that i had fully rebuilt and pressure tested so its all ok.Its a 1995 Mreg ssrg with criuse control.it should be ready to go within a couple of weeks
                  https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

hmm so it would seem the 3l diesel is the preferred beast.

My insurance is ok after all i was running a modified import supraTT

what is the cost of PARTS for a new head as im sure i can fit one myself (fitted superchargers and nitrous systems plus a gas man by trade)

Do all the models have selectable 4w/2w drive.

Comment

a new head will cost about 7-800 pound.the 3.0l head i got thats rebuilt will be sold for about 300 as thats what it cost to get it all tested and rebuilt
                      i have fitted a head myself and if i can do it then i'm sure you will be able to
                      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/members_p...evo/index.html for heads.

All models have 4wd. Only the third gens have a centre diff, the others need to be on something slippy before you can engage the 4wd. Unless you want to wind up your transmission....

Comment

Working...
                        X