landcruiser axles for SAS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• landcruiser axles for SAS?

Would anyone know if a set of landcruiser axles from a HJ60 be usable for a solid axle swap? Not sure on the width of them though to work with the kit.
    Hold my beer and watch this

I used to own an HJ60, I think that they will be to wide.

If you do get them check the swivel housing balls for pitting as they are welded to the axles (they are not replacable like the Land Rover ones). If there is slight pitting you will need to rub it down with wet & dry paper, otherwise the oil seal will end up leaking.

Comment

Originally posted by lclascaris View Post
      I used to own an HJ60, I think that they will be to wide.

If you do get them check the swivel housing balls for pitting as they are welded to the axles (they are not replacable like the Land Rover ones). If there is slight pitting you will need to rub it down with wet & dry paper, otherwise the oil seal will end up leaking.
      No such thing as to wide! Just get bigger arches.

The balls arn'ts so bad as LR's for keeping clean. They are 'sposed to have grease in them not oil like the landrovers, so even if they are manky, it dosn't often leak.

If I could get LC axle with lockers in them I'd choose them over hilux axles anytme, but you may find there is no off the shelf conversion stuff, and spring mounts will be in a different place.

Here comes the bad news... rear diff is offset same side as the front, so the prop will hit the fuel tank unless you have LOTS of lift, or move the fuel tank. The prop also will angle across from the t/case to the diff, so not sure how it will vibrate?

Do-able, but you'll need to be making stuff up as you go a long.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Sounds like a little too much work then. Only asked as the axles on e-blag for 99p. Guess I could keep my rear axle and put spacers on? Or just keep searching for a pick up.

Comment

Here's a 4Runner to SAS.

http://www.pureyota.com/cgi-bin/gall...ner%20SAS&tn=1

Comment

Originally posted by captain_chaos View Post
            Sounds like a little too much work then. Only asked as the axles on e-blag for 99p. Guess I could keep my rear axle and put spacers on? Or just keep searching for a pick up.
            it's a lot of work anyway, whatever axle you use... not just a case of taking off the old stuff and bolting an axle on the springs... it would fall over!
            nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man View Post
              it's a lot of work anyway, whatever axle you use... not just a case of taking off the old stuff and bolting an axle on the springs... it would fall over!
              Been reading write ups about it, It's something not to be taken lightly. Just trying to get bits and bobs when I can. Santa's going to be getting a long list this xmas

Comment

you sorted thoose bearings yet

Comment

Originally posted by sledge View Post
                  you sorted thoose bearings yet
                  Not yet, in the middle of moving house at the moment. Everything is on boxes

Comment

. Everything is on boxes
                    Probably best if you started packing things then.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Only problem with the 60 series axles is the front is known to be a bit weak (that is compared to other LC axles, not compared to Landrover ones). A 75 series cruiser would be better as these have slightly shorter versions of the 80 series axles which are without doubt one of the strongest around short of a Dana 60 or Ford 9 inch.

You may want to have them shortened and maybe put stronger short halfshafts in them.

Generally would be best to use an early Hilux axle for the swap as it is the correct length and is still pretty strong.

All this being said I have heard of people putting 60 series axles in an FJ40 as an upgrade so it must be possible in a narrower vehicle.

If you don't narrow the axle then you will need to move the spring perches. You will probably want custom springs as the 60 series ones will be too heavy duty for the Surf, remember that the F series, the B series or the 2H/12H engines fitted to the LC are damn heavy compared to either the V6 or the 2.4 or 3 litre engine on the Surf.

Tony is right thought, the swivels on the LC are far less prone to water danage than those on a Landrover, however they still need regular maintenance - 30K miles between strip, clean and re-grease is as far as you want to leave it.

Comment

we cut and shut and turned 80 series axles to fit the hiluxish.bit of a work up but came out looking really good.
                        www.overfab.uk

Comment

Now that is a seriously decnt job you done there. One thing is that there is no chance you are going to break them, the brakes will stop an 80 series so will have no problem with anything lighter and you get e-lockers (if you got UK axles) which might be slow but do work well.

Nice job, I'm in awe!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X