Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surf Newbie....

Hello,
    I've been looking at / thinking of getting a surf for a while now.
    After lurking around the forums for a few weeks, I thought I'd finally get around to asking some questions.
    It seems that there is a lot of imported Surfs going around at the moment, direct from Japan with no UK owners. Should these vehicles be avoided?
    One thing I've seen mentioned a lot is the heads cracking on Surfs - is this common or is there something I can look out for when I go looking at Surfs?
    Finally, which engine should I go for? I'll be using it daily to go back and forwards to work (30 Mile round trip).

Many thanks!

Rob.
    Last edited by robinbooth; 13 April 2004, 20:36.

Hi Rob,

first off welcome and enjoy the fun

Right, all Surf's are imported from Japan. The UK version was known as the 4runner and is essentially the same as a second gen Surf, just in a slightly different configuration.

As for engines, the 2.4's do seem to have a head problem, not all granted, but lots. Mine did. If you go for a 2.4 make sure the heads is covered in a warranty, or you budget to get it replaced. Not trying to scare you off, just a thought. Like I said I have a 2.4 (with a new head) and I love it. If you have the choice, and the cash, go for the 3.0L. The 3.0's are by all accounts quicker and give a slightly better mpg than the 2.4, and that might be a concern on a 30 mile daily commute. These things are quite thirsty, but it's two tons of fun so what do you expect. We all love our motors on here.... you will too!!

simon

Comment

OH & THEN THERE IS THE INSURANCE

Welcome & Hello... Buy one they are Great
      You might want to get a couple of qoutes first, as this can be a stumbling block, but if you get totaly stuck Tesco`s will cover you, or at least they did
      I have a 2.4t & i love it, but i now wish i had bought a 3ltr as my Head has just gone.. but other than that it`s the Dogs Nuts...

Dodgy Dave

Comment

Originally posted by robinbooth
        Hello,
        I've been looking at / thinking of getting a surf for a while now.
        After lurking around the forums for a few weeks, I thought I'd finally get around to asking some questions.
        It seems that there is a lot of imported Surfs going around at the moment, direct from Japan with no UK owners. Should these vehicles be avoided?
        NO, TRY AND GET ONE WITH A COMPREHENSIVE WARRANTY FOR 6 MONTHS MIN. USE A REPUTABLE DEALER OR FROM RECOMENDATION.
        One thing I've seen mentioned a lot is the heads cracking on Surfs - is this common or is there something I can look out for when I go looking at Surfs?
        2.4 HAD A PROB AND IF YOU SEARCH THROUGH THE SITE YOU CAN FIND WHICH PERIOD OF PRODUCTION IT COVERED
        Finally, which engine should I go for? I'll be using it daily to go back and forwards to work (30 Mile round trip).
        AS WITH ALL THINGS, YOU GETS WHAT YOU PAY FOR, SO GET THE BEST OF YOUR BUDGET, YOU CAN ALWAYS ASK HERE FOR ADVICE NO PROBLEM!

Many thanks!

Rob.
        I am one of the lucky 3.0L owners but as I do on average a thousand miles a week, reliability is the upmost on my mind. Cant think of a better motor if you dont worry over the mpg. Used to have a transit van, same mpg but no comfort, style, on road presence (or ability) and I can take the family out in this, and can go mud plugging too. A GREAT motor.

Fish
        Last edited by Fish; 14 April 2004, 00:00.
        If it smells like fish, eat it!

Comment

Lucky Me

I have 3 ltr Surf since December and before that a Jag. Don't miss Jag at all.
          Done 6000 miles, used no oil or water, except for windscreen. Average true mileage is just over 20 mpg but i drive on motorways at between 80-90 and also live in London.
          Philip
          Still Searching,
          Dick Whittington

Comment

Cheers!

Thanks for the info!

Looks like I should be digging in my pockets a bit deeper for a 3.0L then. Either that or go for one which has had a head change.

Had an insurance quote from Tescos which wasn't too bad - I think it was around £450 Fully Comp. Seemed to struggle finding the right vehicle on their site though.

I didn't think they were as thirsty as that ~ 20mpg. Looks like I'll be keeping my little banger for any boring distance driving and the Surf for enjoyment!

Rob.

Comment

Originally posted by super8simon
              Hi Rob,

first off welcome and enjoy the fun

Right, all Surf's are imported from Japan. The UK version was known as the 4runner and is essentially the same as a second gen Surf, just in a slightly different configuration.

As for engines, the 2.4's do seem to have a head problem, not all granted, but lots. Mine did. If you go for a 2.4 make sure the heads is covered in a warranty, or you budget to get it replaced. Not trying to scare you off, just a thought. Like I said I have a 2.4 (with a new head) and I love it. If you have the choice, and the cash, go for the 3.0L. The 3.0's are by all accounts quicker and give a slightly better mpg than the 2.4, and that might be a concern on a 30 mile daily commute. These things are quite thirsty, but it's two tons of fun so what do you expect. We all love our motors on here.... you will too!!

simon
              Hi Simon, do you know the mpg stats for the 2.4 and the 3L please, i was under the impression that the smaller the engine , the more miles to the gallon, but then i'm not a technical genius! Can you explain for me please?

Cheers, Nick.

Comment

Originally posted by SurfnTurf
                Hi Simon, do you know the mpg stats for the 2.4 and the 3L please, i was under the impression that the smaller the engine , the more miles to the gallon, but then i'm not a technical genius! Can you explain for me please?

Cheers, Nick.
                Hi Nick,

I too am no technical genius, and yea I thought the same, smaller engine the less thirsty, however I read something along these lines and it sort of made sense to me. The 2.4 is a smaller engine and has to work harder to shove two tonns of metal down the road than the 3L. The 3L, being a bigger engine is more efficient at shifting the same two tonns. So, the 2.4 works harder and drinks more, or a similar amount than the 3L it would seem. As far as mpg stats go, I reckon I get between 20 and 23 mpg on average out of my 2.4, mixed town and motorway. The mpg topic crops up on here every now and again and the average would seem to be between 20 and 25 mpg regardless of engine size (apart from the petrol guys of course)

I hope that makes some sort of sense. It's as I understand it, and I'm sure someone will be along to correct me if I'm barking up the wrong tree.

I'll try and find the original post that I read, it probably explains it better. I think it was Elvz that posted it, she would have more of an idea on stats I'm sure.

simon

Comment

Well, I don't know where I got my original theory from, but this is a quote from a much earlier post by Elvz.........
                  "The thing that makes the 3000cc engined cars more economical than the 2.4's isnt the engine. Almost all the 2.4's are fitted with 4.87:1 final drive ratio, the 3 litre is usually 4.30:1"

Let the confusion continue!

simon

Comment

Cheers for that Simon, i can see how that would work, you learn something new every day, but as for the ratio's, i think that may have to wait for another time.........

Thanks, Nick.

Comment

As a rough guide; if i do mainly motorway miles as is the norm for me, a tank of fuel at an average of £42 returns between 270 and 300 miles.

If I am gentle with the right foot, the figure may reach 320.

Town use mixed with a little dual carrageway driving does not alter the figure much.

Steady 70 motorway use puts up my mpg to almost 30mpg and as its a two ton (aero dynamic as a brick) truck, I cant complain.

Fish
                      If it smells like fish, eat it!

Comment

Originally posted by Fish
                        As a rough guide; if i do mainly motorway miles as is the norm for me, a tank of fuel at an average of £42 returns between 270 and 300 miles.

If I am gentle with the right foot, the figure may reach 320.

Town use mixed with a little dual carrageway driving does not alter the figure much.

Steady 70 motorway use puts up my mpg to almost 30mpg and as its a two ton (aero dynamic as a brick) truck, I cant complain.

Fish
                        i wish £42 filled my tank
                        [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
                        [size=5][/size]
                        [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

Originally posted by gemini
                          How much does yours take?

Comment

Originally posted by SurfnTurf
                            How much does yours take?
                            high end of forty
                            [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
                            [size=5][/size]
                            [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

Originally posted by gemini
                              My mates like to mention that £20 lasts them a week and a half, but then they do have to drive round in girls cars.......(sorry Surf Ladys).
                              Horses for courses.

Comment

Working...
                              X