Steering wheel info.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering wheel info.

Right, In a vein effort of getting my truck half decent for Monster Mania i set about today to 'straighten' my steering wheel.

Its been sat '####ed' since i got it. Just sits as if your turning right a bit when your going straight... if that explains it.

Anyway, i thought it would be

1)undo nut
    2)give a damn good tug
    3)knock a few teeth out
    4)put on splines again but straight
    5)do up nut
    6)hope it wont fall off

Well i got to no. 2 an im damned if it would come off.
    My uncle suggested it might be tapered? rather then splines?!
    Anyone shed any light on it?

Cheers.

The proper way to do it is at the track rod ends. Assuming your tracking is OK, just adjust each side by the same amount until the wheel is straight.

The wheel *is* splined though. Mine came off reasonably easily, but it needed a few sharp taps to loosen it.
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

it is splined but like the last breaker i had here it was tighter than a camels arse in a sand storm and had to have a few hard clouts to get it off
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Un-do the nut to the end of the thread then you won't smash your face when it eventually comes off. paint or marker pen a line on the end of the shaft before you remove the wheel so you know how much you've 'turned' it.
        I had to whack mine with a rubber mallet to get it off, applied some copper grease to the splines before re-fitting.

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
          The proper way to do it is at the track rod ends. Assuming your tracking is OK, just adjust each side by the same amount until the wheel is straight.

The wheel *is* splined though. Mine came off reasonably easily, but it needed a few sharp taps to loosen it.
          Sorry mate, feel like a t!t. Forgot to mention its a 'tasty' wooden aftermarket job. Previous owner liked to ahem, fiddle. Big exhaust an wooden wheel were his marks on the truck.

An Rich,vince... Cheers fellas.

I thought it would be splined but it wouldnt come off but if you say it needs to be smacked then... Give it another shot!

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach View Post
            Sorry mate, feel like a t!t. Forgot to mention its a 'tasty' wooden aftermarket job. Previous owner liked to ahem, fiddle. Big exhaust an wooden wheel were his marks on the truck.

An Rich,vince... Cheers fellas.

I thought it would be splined but it wouldnt come off but if you say it needs to be smacked then... Give it another shot!
            now you need to give it a good clout Rod not a bitch slap...what are you a mouse.........

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
              now you need to give it a good clout Rod not a bitch slap...what are you a mouse.........

I'll see what i can do with it!

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach View Post

I'll see what i can do with it!
                give it a good tug and shake aswell...

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
                  give it a good tug and shake aswell...

Birty Darstard

Comment

Working...