No announcement yet.

redbull air race

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i think i understand what i barrel roll is now! thanks for that!

so, in an axial roll, the only turning devices used would be that on the main wings, where one is elevated and the other is...erm, lowered? and the 'axis' (i get that now as well, since if there was no axis then the plane wouldnt turn lol) is down through the centre of the prop, body and dead centre of the plane?

and a barrel roll, there would need to be more things used as well as the devices on the wings?
    and the axis would be somewhere near the pilots head, or further?

oh and they have all gone now, and london city airports planes are flying over there. so im thinking it was just a tester..
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
      and the axis would be somewhere near the pilots head, or further?

oh and they have all gone now, and london city airports planes are flying over there. so im thinking it was just a tester..
      Axis would be in the same place, but we'll not worry about that.

Actual race is on Saturday and Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
        Axis would be in the same place, but we'll not worry about that.

Actual race is on Saturday and Sunday.
        well, the axis couldnt be in the same place as the plane is moving differently to axial roll.

definition of axis:
        A straight line about which a body or geometric object rotates or may be conceived to rotate.

so basically the centre point.

so if the plane is moving about like it was inside a barrel, then the axis would be dead centre of the barrel, therefore somewhere near the pilots head...
        am i wrong?
        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Nowhere near the pilots head. I guess the axis would be (in a conventional, sizeable barrel roll) maybe 100ft above is head.

He'd need a combination of ailerons, elevators and rudder for a barrel roll, though given enough height, most planes with positive stability would barrel roll using rudder alone.

Something neutrally stable, like an air racer, would probably just crab and sideslip against the direction of yaw.
          Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
            well, the axis couldnt be in the same place as the plane is moving differently to axial roll.
            Sorry, yeah, I meant the axis of the plane, not the axis of the roll.

Comment

cheers!
              so now, when someone mentions barrel roll to me, i can laugh and go BAH! you actually mean Axial roll! with a smug grin

im guessing they will be doing more test flights tomorrow, but im out the office all day in kensington :/
              Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

And yes thats how the aircraft 'hangs on its prop on vertical stall' not pleasant experience in a Pitts Special get the puke bags ready !

or am i thinking of 757 to Naples tomorrow ? with my bags on a Conveyor Belt ?
                Death rides a Black Horse

Comment

Working...
                X