Damn i need to learn mechanics!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damn i need to learn mechanics!!!!!

Just picked my Surf, which I bought last Friday, up from the garage and almost died at the bill!

I have no experience of mechanics other than checking my levels, bulbs, wheels - usaul mundane stuff. This left me no choice other than taking it to the garage to get my front pads and discs changed. At least I could identify the problem before I took it in!

Anyway the bill came to £315.80!!!!!!

£173+vat for parts.

I think I may have been done because the parts are cheaper online. Surely this is a job I should learn to do myself.

With any luck she'll pass the MOT on Monday - otherwise it may be divorce when I sell the wife's car to fund my surf!

Definately time to think about an evening class in mechanics.

Disks £60 pads £20
    1hr work.
    DIY bill £80 plus delivery

Ripped off? no, garages are all expensive
    Brian

Comment

Mate the pads and disks are a doddle, you might have been better buying the parts on line from roughtrax or milner and get someone to fit them for you. The service items a re cheap filter kits cost £10.00. I am sure that some one on here will be only to pleased to point you in the right direction for help
      SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

The garage that did the work was recommended by a mate who has a surf for his business and has always had them do the work for him. Typically I went along with the idea thinking he knows what hes talking about. Then having booked it in I joined the forum and started seeing potential problems in what I'd done!

Never mind we live and learn!!!

Next time I'll ask for more advice - after all Richard is only 20 odd miles down the road!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jelsplace View Post
          The garage that did the work was recommended by a mate who has a surf for his business and has always had them do the work for him. Typically I went along with the idea thinking he knows what hes talking about. Then having booked it in I joined the forum and started seeing potential problems in what I'd done!

Never mind we live and learn!!!

Next time I'll ask for more advice - after all Richard is only 20 odd miles down the road!!!
          He May /May not know what he's talking about !!!
          The difference is he can probably afford it ......

There's alway's a Payback .... Ya just never ever see it Comin !!!!
          Buncefield Burner

Comment

Just started to calm down when my sister called saying how much better she thought her new wheels were compared to mine!!! What the hell does she know? Just coz hers doesn't cost her!

I'll take the Surf anyday!

Comment

they propably charged you that much because they couldnt work out how to take the discs off of the surf.
              www.overfab.uk

Comment

Makes me sick when I hear folks spending so much for nothing.

I woulda done it for 2 bacon butties and a mug of tea.
                Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
                  Makes me sick when I hear folks spending so much for nothing.

I woulda done it for 2 bacon butties and a mug of tea.
                  + the diesel from cornwall to Scotland at about £280 + £80 parts total about £370 lol so the £315 ain't to bad after all...! Garage was deffo a saving

LOL

Same here tho mate it aint good spending that much at a garage for jobs that can be done with mates....
                  One day at the time I guess..

Comment

Originally posted by charvell View Post
                    Mate the pads and disks are a doddle, you might have been better buying the parts on line from roughtrax or milner and get someone to fit them for you. The service items a re cheap filter kits cost £10.00. I am sure that some one on here will be only to pleased to point you in the right direction for help
                    people say how easy pads are to change, but if youve never done it its the sort of thing you dont really just want to have a go at... cos if it dont go to plan, your a bit screwed if it breaks at 40... and you do need to understand how the system works a little before you go sticking screw drivers in places to move pistons.. ive been shown how to do them a couple of times, and i still get someone else to do them. my uncle, cousin and friends are mechanics. it takes them not much longer than it does taking the wheel off... but there ya go.. 300 quid is a bit steep but next time ask how much first!
                    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

your more than welcome to give me a ring to give you a hand anytime Jel.My mob.number is 07974183876.I've normally got a breaker here aswell if you need any parts cheaper also
                      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

You know, the parts are £100 once you inc VAT and delivery, from Roughtrax, but I've had to buy discs from local parts shops and they are much more expensive, but they've added quiet a bit to the parts, £150 would have been max I'd guess.

£150 labour is a little steep, that 5 hours @ £30 an hour, or just over 4 hours @ £35 which is the average rate around here.

Discs ARE a pain to change on 2nd gens, you have to remove the caliper, strip the drive plate and hub bearings to remove the hub and then get the disc of the hub off the car, but 2 hours at the very max should cover it easily if you've not done one before, its the same as doing a Hilux Pickup so no mystery to garages

Anything over £200-220 all in is to much for that job IMHO, up to that is kind of justifiable.
                        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I agree that mechanical jobs should be undertaken with a sound knowledge of the subject and that braking systems in particular need careful attention to ensure they work safely.

But....you have to start somewhere, it's all about confidence and a bit of practical skill. Do the research, get the parts, get some help if you need it but give it a go. You will gain knowledge, experience and a sense of achievement and also save a lot of money.

Mr Toyota built a largely uncomplicated truck for us to play with and built it well, they are easy to get parts for and easy to modify so we should get stuck in.
                          Time is the major factor that prevents some people from tackling jobs on their trucks and I understand this, but for others it can be a fear of messing up that stops them, but with the right help and knowledge then nearly anythings possible.
                          Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Cheers guys!

Think I'll give it a crack next time!!!

Stupid thing was that over the phone the guy said it would probably be around £200, but when I picked it up he said the parts were dearer than he expected.

Problem is that when having done the job I had little choice but to pay for it.

Richard you may get a paniked call on Monday if the MOT is a disaster!!
                            Last edited by jelsplace; 26 July 2008, 17:09.

Comment

Working...
                            X