Bobtail.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bobtail.

for those folk that have often wondered what a bobtailed surf would look like......here ya go!

15 inches taken out of body and chassis.
    new crossmember put in.
    new bumper added using 3" i/d tube with 4mm thick wall bracing struts and a very strong towing eye.

all dents were a pre-existing condition

still at least as much room in the back as a disco!
    and yes, it makes a huge difference off road!

Last edited by Greebo; 22 July 2008, 15:47.
    mudnstuff.me.uk

errmmmm.... pic please?

Comment

cant see the pics !!

just red crosses
      Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

opps sorry trying to link to pics i,ve not uploaded yet!!
        mudnstuff.me.uk

Comment

Wicked
          ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Ah, thats where the rear of stein went!

Comment

looks good!
              also you can now sit in the burgandy and black camps in the colour war!

Comment

Originally posted by biosurf View Post
                looks good!
                also you can now sit in the burgandy and black camps in the colour war!
                i think it will end up all black! the amount of "patchwork" she has on her I cant be arsed to keep buying the right paint!
                mudnstuff.me.uk

Comment

I like that. How long did it take and how difficult to get everything to line up?

Cheers, Nick
                  "The force will be with you, always!"

Comment

Puts me in mind of a Landcruiser of some description. Suits it.
                    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Nick V View Post
                      I like that. How long did it take and how difficult to get everything to line up?

Cheers, Nick
                      took about 3 weekends all in.

not too bad to line everything up, but it needed some persuasion in places!
                      trickiest bits are at the top and bottom corners as there is a lot of folded metal. so we cut of the bottom corners and plated them, and the roof line struts that run front to back are 3 or 4 layers deep, so to get the strength back in you have to cut back in layers then re-weld layer by layer.

only sad bit is that you lose the rear speakers! and the pockets at the back.
                      mudnstuff.me.uk

Comment

nice work,cant help but say it resembles a nivia cossack.why only take out 15" and not the whole lot.???
                        www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by surfenstein View Post
                          nice work,cant help but say it resembles a nivia cossack.why only take out 15" and not the whole lot.???
                          any more than 15" and your into the wheel arches. I wanted to keep it as simple as poss and keep the truck usable as an everyday motor. that's why i decided not to go the pick-up route. I've basically still got a perfectly good surf but without the great big overhang that's such a hinderence when off roading.
                          mudnstuff.me.uk

Comment

Working...
                          X