Uncomfortable Seating Position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uncomfortable Seating Position

I have owned my 94 SURF 3litre TD for several weeks now and am generally happy with the vehicle. But I dont know if its just me, or is the seating position the most uncomfortable setup up in car history. I am 6foot 1 and not overweight, but after just 10minutes or so my lower back aches very badly when sitting in the car. My thoughts are that the problem stems from the fact the seat sits so low and my legs carn't stretch out enough. No amount of ajustment will solve this.

Lets here from anyone else who has a comfort problem in the Surf.
    And does anyone have ideas on a solution, like an aftermarket seat.

Tim.....

I have a similar problem, no matter how you play about with the seat adjustment I still can not get a comfy position. My garage worked it out that the seat does not slide far enough back for my long legs. I find my right foot is at a very acute angle to the accelerator with the heel directly in line with the brake pedal. They say the solution would be to unbolt the seat and put in an extention bar to move it further back and give about 1in extra in height. I think this is what is making me a little unsettled with what is a great vehicle.
    Visit all the Surfin Elkhounds at [url="http://www.malenibo.co.uk/"]www.malenibo.co.uk[/url]

Comment

I have the same problem with the 2nd gen seats,but the best thing is that I own a 3rd gen and that has much more leg room.

You could try fitting some different seats,have a look at what Dan has done.

http://www.hiluxsurf.net/index1.htm

Comment

Me too, I dont have a problem with the leg room in my 3 gen being a mere 5'11", but as I'm partial to a pie or 2, I have a problem getting the seat belt round me. I'm not sure if it is just the import Surfs made for the natives (Japanese peeps) that have leg and belt restrictions, but I would be intrigued to see if the 4 runners have the same probs as they were made for export. Anybody know????

Comment

Tim,
          The driving position was one of the main things I liked about the Surf when buying it, but I'm only 5'8". I remember reading about somebody using nylon spacers to raise the seat an inch to improve it for them. Maybe an option for you.
          PETE

Comment

i'm 5'9" and i too have found it very comfy, must be jap sized seating.
            [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

I have a 1990 model and find the seating position good, i am 6'4" but find that if i adjust the side bolsters so that they squeeze slightly i get loads of support and am very comfy!! Do later models not have this adjustment on the seat???
              Ed & Sarah
              If it aint broke...........give it some more abuse!!!!!!!!
              I gave it some abuse.................and it broke!!!!!!!

Comment

mines a '91 and i have got the bolster things, i like to grip myself in too.
                [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

The 4Runner has exactly the same seats as the Surf and I think they're really excellent but that's probably coz I'm 5'4" and weigh 110lbs

Comment

I got the 3rd gen with Recaro seats!!
                    very comfy!

Comment

stick in some supra seats... they've got electrically adjustable from normal to bucket seats.

i find my front seats fine, but the rear seatbelts are too short for a rear facing child seat...
                      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by dabigman
                        stick in some supra seats... they've got electrically adjustable from normal to bucket seats.

i find my front seats fine, but the rear seatbelts are too short for a rear facing child seat...
                        Do the supra seats connect easy enough into the surf electrics?
                        Or is all that is required is a 12v feed?
                        If it smells like fish, eat it!

Comment

Originally posted by Fish
                          Do the supra seats connect easy enough into the surf electrics?
                          Or is all that is required is a 12v feed?
                          12v feed only i'd imagine... Elvz will know!
                          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

The only minor gripe(s) I have against the Surf is the lack of headroom and short seatbelts,but it's not a big deal.I just don't wear a padded jacket and keep my hair really short.