coolant loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coolant loss

finaly got my surf..........wot a corkin motor i thought! so today (good friday) we decided to go for a run to whitby for fish and chips with the kid's. (about 130 miles each way) all was well until we stopped for a drink on the way, when my eldest lad noticed 'somthing' coming from under the middle of the car. so on closer inspection i discover that the rear heater hoses which run above the drive shaft are both p*55ing out red fluid(coolant) 'oh bugger' i thought,so under i go, bestist tog's on and all, to see what i can do. BOTH pipes had split where the pipe clip are, but luckily enough they were about an inch from the top of their mounting, so all i had to do was loosen both clips, push said pipes further up, and re-conect clips lower down to seal them.
    job (for now) done. of course then i check the level in the thermostat housing and expansion tank and both look fine.........hhmmmmmmmmm. is it air locked? how much liquid did i lose? has it been leaking since we left home?
    suck it and see i thought, so off we went to whitby, stopping every couple of miles to check it, and constantly looking at the temp gauge. totaly ruined my fish and chips!! came back down the A1 at 90ish no problems, so i hope all is still well. thing is i've only had it 2 days!!- good start.

andy crofts

p.s. if your going to robinhoods bay on saturday, take your brolly!

Originally posted by andrewcrofts
    finaly got my surf..........wot a corkin motor i thought! so today (good friday) we decided to go for a run to whitby for fish and chips with the kid's. (about 130 miles each way) all was well until we stopped for a drink on the way, when my eldest lad noticed 'somthing' coming from under the middle of the car. so on closer inspection i discover that the rear heater hoses which run above the drive shaft are both p*55ing out red fluid(coolant) 'oh bugger' i thought,so under i go, bestist tog's on and all, to see what i can do. BOTH pipes had split where the pipe clip are, but luckily enough they were about an inch from the top of their mounting, so all i had to do was loosen both clips, push said pipes further up, and re-conect clips lower down to seal them.
    job (for now) done. of course then i check the level in the thermostat housing and expansion tank and both look fine.........hhmmmmmmmmm. is it air locked? how much liquid did i lose? has it been leaking since we left home?
    suck it and see i thought, so off we went to whitby, stopping every couple of miles to check it, and constantly looking at the temp gauge. totaly ruined my fish and chips!! came back down the A1 at 90ish no problems, so i hope all is still well. thing is i've only had it 2 days!!- good start.

andy crofts

p.s. if your going to robinhoods bay on saturday, take your brolly!
    that was your gearbox oil
    [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
    [size=5][/size]
    [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

[QUOTE=andrewcrofts]finaly got my surf..........wot a corkin motor i thought! so today (good friday) we decided to go for a run to whitby for fish and chips with the kid's. (about 130 miles each way) all was well until we stopped for a drink on the way, when my eldest lad noticed 'somthing' coming from under the middle of the car. so on closer inspection i discover that the rear heater hoses which run above the drive shaft are both p*55ing out red fluid(coolant) 'oh bugger' i thought,so under i go, bestist tog's on and all, to see what i can do. BOTH pipes had split where the pipe clip are, but luckily enough they were about an inch from the top of their mounting, so all i had to do was loosen both clips, push said pipes further up, and re-conect clips lower down to seal them.

andy crofts

Is your surf an auto? Like Gemini said It sounds to me that could be transmission fluid ! Hence no difference in coolant levels.

Check level on rear dipstick when transmission and engine hot and whilst engine is running! first move transmission lever through all ranges to fill the pumps that will give an accurate reading!

However it is possible is was coolant and you caught it just in time!
      www.europa88.co.uk Loadsa mods!

Comment

Working...
      X