Finding a cheap tirfor- any ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding a cheap tirfor- any ideas

Right I don't like the idea about not being able to go out on my own when its muddy so want to get a winch sorted. Too skint for a leccy or hydraulic one so I'm after a Tirfor.

The ones with the welly to pull a surf keep going on the bay for £150 up and are silly money new but have read plenty of people saying that they got theirs for £50 at a farm auction etc.

Any ideas where to find a reasonably priced one or how to find farm auctions not a million miles from Surrey?

Also try army surplus stores, as they have them!

Mark........
    Let taste be the enemy of art!

Comment

I work in the entertainement industry and use them all the time. The only one I had I sold about 2 years ago. My advise is make sure it is a Tirfor and not a ting tong from China. Also if it is a say 1.5t the shear pins in the handle will break way before then so get as big a one as you can.
      monstercreations.org.uk

Comment

do a search for fire service salvage - may be lucky
        Did I mention I have a BLUE one
        Tony

Comment

Another alternative...

5 Ton ratchet strap... and/or hi-lift and a winch chain (http://www.hi-lift.com/media/pdfs/jack_instructions.pdf p.12)... and varying lengths of tow straps...
          Last edited by AndyLala; 17 July 2008, 20:00.

Comment

sorry dont know your area but i go to a lot of farm auctions and the are often there its a case of finding the auctions the most i have paid for one
            is£40 as it was almost new and the cheapest was £8 so its always worth a look

Comment

Spoofer, you are one of the main culprits that has got me here, its mainly your threads in the past that make me think I can find one for tuppence and a handful of beans dammit!

Of course if you happen to be at one of your farm auctions and see, say a Tirfor TU32 going for something like that amount and fancy, I don't know, buying it and passing it on to your friendly fellow forum member......

Comment

funny you should say that but the farm auction i get them from is on next sat

Comment

Wellllll...... if you happened to see one......

Comment

mole vally farmers
                    treaco mils
                    or any place similer.. you will need abot a five tonne one m8 its ok to have a small one but the sort of conditions youll get into and the type of pull you will need a heafty on..
                    personly i would not get one .they are hard work slow and awkward to use in situations like that... you would be better off saveing and getting opne on the front of ya truck.. i was in tree work for 22 years and landscapeing.. most of my life.
                    i did hole a trainers cert in winching operations etc ..and a testing cert so i could test them and stamp them safe..
                    so me do know a bit about them..stick to on for the truck .m8 ok it costs but hay its worth it.. try car boots its amazing what you can pick up..get it checked ot and certiffed after ok and each year there after ..if you have an accident with one thats not certifed you could be held accountable and it could cost you heaps...
                    so be carfull.

Comment

Working...
                    X