No announcement yet.

how many MPG are u guys getting??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

has the plug on the side of the air filter fell out,mine did it once and it used alot of diesel.

Comment

just dont look

thats what i do
      john
      i bust things ,, it a skill i have ,,( need help?)

Comment

not sure? will have a look in the morn. cheers for the heads up BIG GENERAL!

Comment

Just to add to this, i have a 94 3.0. Had it for 2 weeks and i've been using it daily because i was curious what mpg i was going to get. It's returning almost 30mpg which, reading the other posts is pretty good. I've done all my driving in the surf which has included school runs, trips to work and a day at the beach with the kids.

Comment

Originally posted by goodcat View Post
            just did a trip to bristol and back.
            filled the tank up from empty and cost me £82!
            got 300 miles out of it almost exactly.
            got there and back on a full tank but JUST. (300 mile trip all in all)
            not as bad as i had previously thought but still far from cheap to run!
            cost me the same to fill up my 2.5d transit but i get 400 miles on a full tank with that. still not great either tho.

sat nav said 133 miles there and took the same route back. so totall of 266 miles yet the trip meter said 472km which is 293 miles
            27 miles difference?? could the trip meter be out? surely not.

what sort of speed were you going? if your speed on your clock matches the speed on your gps i would hope that the odometer is not out.

also, the more speed you do over 55mph then the more juice you drink... but who wants to do 55mph? it would take you over a minute to go a mile at that speed... i normally stick on about 75-80 depending on the hill im going up or down.. if im going up a hill my 2.4 will be at about 55 unless i want to press the pedal all the way to the floor and have all engine noise for not really much more speed.
            but i managed something like 550km on a full tank of mainly veg oil and < £8 worth of diesel (but i never went over 60 downhill). i really think it matters how fast you go
            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

so ur getting an extra 100 miles than i am for 60 quids worth. i know u said it was motorway miles but still! 100 miles is a BIG difference! any ideas any1 what could be wrong? it doesnt seem to be leaking anything?
              could be all sorts of things.
              does it miss fire on start up? (this would only loose mpg at cold starting, once its warmed up bad glow plugs arnt important)
              next is, does it mis fire if you freely rev it?
              next i would check all the turbo hosing to make sure its in tact and not half slipping off, and there are no cracks for boost to leak.
              next i would see about how clean the air filter is. and if you can then upgrade it to a free-er flowing one.
              then, if you really really want to spend money, see about putting an intercooler on. if done right it should help you quite a bit on the motorway in theory (so long as your not gunning it) but in traffic or off road its not going to help at all. actually, technically, since the intercooler would heat up to engine bay temps in traffic or off road, then it should in theory worsten fuel economy in these conditions. but there you go

another thing that will help, is if you have a free flowing exhaust, and a non-knackered turbo. if you managed to feel your turbo (when its cold obviously) and spin the impeller with your fingers, it should freely spin.. it wont spin for ages like a performance turbo but it shouldnt be hard to spin by hand what so ever. if the exhaust gasses can spin the turbo easily then you wont have to use so much fuel to generate higher exhaust gas pressures.

a free flowing exhaust will help the above, since if there is a very low pressure in the exhaust, then the higher pressure gas will want to flow there. standard exhausts for surfs have baffled / chambered silencers and are quiet and quite restrictive. a full system will go from the standard front pipe section through to the rear and usually you can chose how and where it exits. the bore of the pipe should be increased for a 2.4 litre it should be 2.25" and for a 3.0 it should be 2.5" but we have done 3" on a surf before.

this info is all from what i have read and been shown. i hope its of use to you.

-tony
              Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

hello deiselboy.
                i was doing 85mph all the way there (half a tank) and 85 2/3's of the way back. the last 1/3 of the journey was reduced to 70 then 60 then even 50 for the last 20 miles or so coz i couldnt be arsed to re-fill! (i live on the edge u see lol)
                and yes it has had an aftermarket exhaust on it which should help.
                and it doesnt miss-fire once m8. sound as a pound. and yes i can feel the turbo well straight from the get go. will pop my head under the bonnet tho to check the turbo housing like u mentioned and a few other things too.
                cheers for the tips m8!

1 thing tho, u said upgrade the air filter to a more flowing one?? woulndt this burn more deisel? more air=more fuel being burnt surely?

Comment

hello deiselboy.
                  i was doing 85mph all the way there (half a tank) and 85 2/3's of the way back. the last 1/3 of the journey was reduced to 70 then 60 then even 50 for the last 20 miles or so coz i couldnt be arsed to re-fill! (i live on the edge u see lol)
                  and yes it has had an aftermarket exhaust on it which should help.
                  and it doesnt miss-fire once m8. sound as a pound. and yes i can feel the turbo well straight from the get go. will pop my head under the bonnet tho to check the turbo housing like u mentioned and a few other things too.
                  cheers for the tips m8!

1 thing tho, u said upgrade the air filter to a more flowing one?? woulndt this burn more deisel? more air=more fuel being burnt surely?
                  Not suprised your gettin pi$$ poor mpg when your hammering it at 85 on the motorway mate.

These are old inefficant trucks!! Plus your tyre size being so damn small wont help the cause.

Comment

well in theory, if the air can be sucked in more freely, then you shouldnt have to use as much throttle.. but you really dont want to have the air restricted on being sucked into the engine or else the turbo will have to do more work to suck it in.

85mph constant for a 2.4 surf means the engine is doing a ton of work.. thats why im pretty sure than when you dropped your speed to just 60 then you started to save fuel.
                    i have a boost guage on mine, and when i drive from london to leeds, i normally keep the boost on about 7psi. i get a really nice whistle hehe but when i go up hills i will slow down to 60 or less. but i just make sure im moved over until i have gone over it. but the same throttle will keep me at 70 -80 on flat ground.
                    what i was going to attempt to do, was to find out what makes the auto gear box lock up into over drive, and then have this switchable so i can tell it to do it before the ecu makes it happen. this way the revs will be lower and in the power band and should save quite a bit of fuel. i was worried about there being too much torque going through the box if i did this though, but now i dont think there will be anywhere near enough to cause any damage.

another few things to check, would be to make sure your tyres are pumped up to at least 31. may be even 33. and make sure you dont get any vibration through the car when on the motorway and that the car maintains a straight line and doesnt pull. this will help squeeze half a mpg lol
                    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach View Post
                      Not suprised your gettin pi$$ poor mpg when your hammering it at 85 on the motorway mate.

These are old inefficant trucks!! Plus your tyre size being so damn small wont help the cause.
                      correcto. 2 tons at 85 with aerodynamics of a brick with a windscreen = at least 23mpg....??
                      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
                        well in theory, if the air can be sucked in more freely, then you shouldnt have to use as much throttle.. but you really dont want to have the air restricted on being sucked into the engine or else the turbo will have to do more work to suck it in.

85mph constant for a 2.4 surf means the engine is doing a ton of work.. thats why im pretty sure than when you dropped your speed to just 60 then you started to save fuel.
                        i have a boost guage on mine, and when i drive from london to leeds, i normally keep the boost on about 7psi. i get a really nice whistle hehe but when i go up hills i will slow down to 60 or less. but i just make sure im moved over until i have gone over it. but the same throttle will keep me at 70 -80 on flat ground.
                        what i was going to attempt to do, was to find out what makes the auto gear box lock up into over drive, and then have this switchable so i can tell it to do it before the ecu makes it happen. this way the revs will be lower and in the power band and should save quite a bit of fuel. i was worried about there being too much torque going through the box if i did this though, but now i dont think there will be anywhere near enough to cause any damage.

another few things to check, would be to make sure your tyres are pumped up to at least 31. may be even 33. and make sure you dont get any vibration through the car when on the motorway and that the car maintains a straight line and doesnt pull. this will help squeeze half a mpg lol

wow. let me know how u get on with that one m8! be interesting to see how u can do it.
                        and thanks for all ur help deiselboy! quite a clever chap arent you!

Comment

My MPG

I have a 1998 3 ltr auto and have found the following.
                          After fitting cruise control I now get better fuel returns.
                          For example Fill to brim and run till the fuel light starts to show which is about 580 to 600 Kms = 362 to 385 miles.
                          Assume tank holds 70 Ltrs and there is 7 left in tank.
                          63 ltrs or 13.8 say 14 galls used for 375 miles = 26.7mpg allow even 10% for discrepancies and this still gives 24 Mpg.
                          I have done the Brim to Brim check also a few times and still get better than 24 to 25 Mpg
                          Ps quick converter from litres per Km to Mpg
                          Divide kms run by ltrs used and multiply answer by 2.8
                          Using above example. 600Kms Divided by 63 ltrs = 9.5Km/Ltr. Multiply by 2.8 = 26.6 Mpg.

I set the cruise at just under 60 Mph as this is a nice quiet speed to run at it suits the roads I use daily for my work.
                          Last edited by muller1; 26 July 2008, 22:30.

Comment

quite a clever chap arent you!
                            no! lol
                            someone on here did point me in the right direction when i mentioned this last year i think it was.. but ive been to occupied with other things to get on with it.. BUT after asking about it, someone posted a link to the mitsubishi delica owners forum where someone has done it on their AWD delica.

another thing, this 3.0 im driving around in at the mo drinks like a hole in the tank. i got from banstead to gatwick airport down the motorway doing 100 and nearly the whole tenner was gone! but on the way back i got lost, and ended up in dorking, but i kept the revs at about 2000, and didnt go fast down the country lanes and i got all the way to dorking, then back to banstead, and then today ive been to croydon and back and now the light is coming on. goes to show if you are careful of your driving you can save quite a bit!
                            on the next surf i get im definately fitting a boost gauge like my old one.. it does help you know how hard the engine is working.

plus, i miss my 2.4 sometimes when we have been stuck in the mud, or trying to get up a muddy hill, ive found if ive been tapping the throttle for grip - when i give up and take my foot off, it dumps a load of boost and then makes a wastegate chatter sound...
                            ive no idea what was doing the turbo noises, i thought diesel turbos didnt need to dump air :/
                            this only got very audiable since i attached the k&n type thing to the turbo directly! fun though
                            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by muller1 View Post
                              I have a 1998 3 ltr auto and have found the following.
                              After fitting cruise control I now get better fuel returns.
                              For example Fill to brim and run till the fuel light starts to show which is about 580 to 600 Kms = 362 to 385 miles.
                              Assume tank holds 70 Ltrs and there is 7 left in tank.
                              63 ltrs or 13.8 say 14 galls used for 375 miles = 26.7mpg allow even 10% for discrepancies and this still gives 24 Mpg.
                              I have done the Brim to Brim check also a few times and still get better than 24 to 25 Mpg
                              Ps quick converter from litres per Km to Mpg
                              Divide kms run by ltrs used and multiply answer by 2.8
                              Using above example. 600Kms Divided by 63 ltrs = 9.5Km/Ltr. Multiply by 2.8 = 26.6 Mpg.

I set the cruise at just under 60 Mph as this is a nice quiet speed to run at it suits the roads I use daily for my work.
                              apparently this is where you will get the most mpg..

i found when i tried to keep my 2.4 at about that speed (its a little over 2000rpm but the turbo light was prevented from coming on so it was as fast as i could go whilst keeping the boost under 0.1psi) i was doing about 550~560km with 40 litres veg oil and about 10 - 15 litres of derv, and filling up when the light was constant.. it was last year now, but we worked it out to be about 27mpg..
                              and by the time we had done this a few times, we were pouring diesel n veg ontop of >80% diesel veg mix.
                              i wonder what mpg we would have got if we used 100% diesel.

do we reckon 3.0l could be more economic than 2.4's if we drove them like what you described?
                              Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

3.0 is deff more economical than a 2.4, especially when its in a 3 gen
                                driving style has a big effect but the road has a bigger one, motorways and mine is into the high 20's to early 30's, locally and its down to the low 20's
                                my old 2.4 did 21mpg at its best and 16 when towing or hoofing it
                                Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

Working...
                                X