C'mon !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C'mon !

Peed off with ever increasing diesel prices I've just bought a 1.3CDTi Vauxall Corsa. With my modded Surf yeilding somewhere between 20-22mpg I've been paying over 100 quid per week just get to work. Four or five hundred pounds a month on fuel just ain't funny any more!

Anyway back to the Corsa- the 1.3CDTi Ecotec engine yields 63mpg combined or 75mpg on a run (i.e. to work & back). According to my calculations the car will have paid for itself in just under two years if diesel stays at 1.30/litre. For every 5 pence a litre diesel goes up it pays for itself a month sooner! If diesel ever hits 2.00/litre pay off time is in just 13 months- shocking considering the Corsa cost 4900! Oh- and VED road tax is a mere 35 quid!

I'm keeping the Surf for weekend/winter/offroad use- I just won't be using it as the daily runner any longer. It also means the Surf might get more offroad mods fitted like a front winch, bigger tyres etc. Not being my only car means I can spend more time doing work on the Surf.

Corsa pics.

Now I'm off to join a Corsa forum and see what can go wrong with these things.....
    Last edited by laser_jock99; 6 July 2008, 11:59.

Handsome colour too!

Comment

Welcome to 'driving with my bum on the road' experience !!!

With the economy of that you should save a pretty penny in fuel expenses

Trev
      Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

A wise move mate.

Gives you the best of both worlds. Economy and fun!
        'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

Welcome to the small car club

Comment

i have a corsa. its 997 cc and only a 3 cylinder,and i actually quite like it/am slowly getting used to it,its got a superb stereo and is returning over 60 to the gallon.it means as laser jock says,can spend more time on a carthats not now my daily driver
            Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Just a pity its a vauxhall

but the saving on fuel cant be sniffed at.

what about the cost of replacing the bits that fall off the vauxhall?

I don't like vauxhalls since i bought a brand new "Friday" model spent more time in the garage than on the road

Hopefully you have a mid week one
              If it can be broken it can be fixed

Comment

just brought a jinlun 125cc 85+ to the gallon £15 tax fully comp insurance £94.00 lots of fresh air and the surf looking great on the drive ready for rainey days,and holidays.

Comment

ECOTEC???

Every
                  Component
                  On
                  This
                  Engine's
                  Cr ap!!
                  nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

i shouldn't say anything... my 2007 focus is going rusty already...
                    only 15 months old!!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man View Post
                      only 15 months old!!
                      I had heard that the focus was one of the fastest Fords to date but i didn't think it was that fast!

at rusting that is

joking aside, is it covered under warranty?

Comment

Originally posted by mckirdy-services View Post
                        I had heard that the focus was one of the fastest Fords to date but i didn't think it was that fast!

at rusting that is

joking aside, is it covered under warranty?
                        should be... i noticed it when i fitted the towbar... the rear crossmember and lower wshbones are losing their powdercoat and rusting along the seams...

the exhaust's pretty rusty too... looks like it's off a 10yr old nova!!

Comment

should be... i noticed it when i fitted the towbar... the rear crossmember and lower wshbones are losing their powdercoat and rusting along the seams...

the exhaust's pretty rusty too... looks like it's off a 10yr old nova!!
                          Blimy thats really bad even for a ford!

I saw one of those new jeep's only about 6 months old and it was rusting! whats going on?

anyway good luck with the warranty although they (ford) will probably try and say you have invalidated the warranty by "modifying" the car (tow bar).

Comment

only 15 months old!!
                            I'm hoping this car won't rust- they're galavnised with a 12 year anti-perforation warranty. I'll give thing a good Waxoyling when I get it too.

Comment

Originally posted by laser_jock99 View Post
                              I'm hoping this car won't rust- they're galavnised with a 12 year anti-perforation warranty. I'll give thing a good Waxoyling when I get it too.
                              with a vauxhall,always always change the cambelt AND tebsioners 10k before they recommend

Comment

Working...
                              X