Question for computer geniuses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for computer geniuses

I've just moved into a new flat with no cable and no phone line. Just called BT and they want £125 to put a line in, plus £10.50 a month line rental. They can b0llocks.

I don't need a phone, only broadband, but have two computers. Does anyone know if you can get a router that works with this new-fangled mobile broadband? All the shops reckon it's impossible to connecy more than one machine to the same mobile modem but I have doubts....

Ta.

Most of the mobile broadband dongle things that i've seen connect to the computer via usb and require interface software to be running on the computer in order to connect. This wouldn't work on a router. Can you not just connect the dongle to one computer and then share the internet connection between computers?

Another alternative would be to get a mobile phone with an internet package and then use your phone to connect to the internet, share this connection between your pc's. I have a Nokia N95 with Vodafone and i can connect through the phone using the USB at reasonable speed. No matter what they tell you it's not a quick as fixed line broadband but better than dial up speed and better than paying BT through the nose for flicking a switch at the exchange.
    Lifes a beach, so lets surf!

Comment

on the horizon?

http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/May2006/3067.htm

http://online.vodafone.co.uk/dispatc...pageID=BS_0202
      Gaz

Comment

Re

I GUARANTEE that if you are living in a heavily populated area, council estate, main street etc. then some eejit nearby is using a wireless router with no security enabled!

Just hop on his connection!

Bob's your uncle!

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
          I've just moved into a new flat with no cable and no phone line. Just called BT and they want £125 to put a line in, plus £10.50 a month line rental. They can b0llocks.

I don't need a phone, only broadband, but have two computers. Does anyone know if you can get a router that works with this new-fangled mobile broadband? All the shops reckon it's impossible to connecy more than one machine to the same mobile modem but I have doubts....

Ta.
          Have you looked at a cable broadband connection from Virgin Media, presuming you're in a cabled area? They can install that without a phone connection but I'm not sure what the connection charge is these days. And cable broadband is supposed to be better than via the phone line.
          Mike G

Comment

Working...
          X