Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying "Warranty" separately

Hi guys,
    I just read up on the Surf's yesterday night and it looks like the perfect next car for me. I think I will get one imported direct (2nd Gen 1992 3l)

When I bought the last JDM (Honda Del Sol), I was offered a leaflet for a company which "insures" the mechanics of the car for a sum - do these companies still exist? any links would be apreciated.

I did a search on the forum regarding these services, but nothing came up.

Regards
    Udhi

Yes, there are several companies that offering used car warranties.

These people http://www.warrantydirect.co.uk/ don't have Surfs in their list for an online quote. However, they do have Toyota Estimas and Soarers, I think I'm right in saying both of these models are only available as imports?

So it might be worth giving them a ring?
    Never argue with an idiot... they drag you down to their level - then beat you with experience!!

Comment

I have just rung warrantydirect.co.uk, they do cover Surfs.

They quoted me £251 for 12 months Standard Cover (only option due to age - 1994).

Need to read the small print... but this is their Standard Cover -

Standard Cover
      Protection against the cost of parts and labour following a mechanical or electrical failure, cover against failure of a part or a part that is about to fail causing even greater damage including those parts that have failed due to wear and tear.
      Claim limit = £5,000
      Excess = £15

Why Warranty Direct
      We only offer warranty cover without Wear and Tear exclusion, which means that if a covered part fails and is worn you will be covered and no Consequential loss to covered parts exclusion, which means that if a failure is caused by a non-insured part you will be covered
      No other warranty offers this level of cover

We do not just sell the warranty - we will handle your claim as well - giving you 100% peace of mind

Other Benefits
      Recovery
      Car Hire
      Overnight Hotel Accommodation
      24 hour freephone helpline
      Easy Claims Procedure
      Central billing facility
      No Limit on labour rates

With STANDARD Cover all of the following parts are covered and we will pay the parts and labour costs if you have to have something replaced.Parts not specifically mentioned are not covered. Cars must be less the 10 years old and less than 100,000 miles.

Engine
      Cylinder head, internal bushings, oil pump, crankshaft and bearings, tappet gear, valves and guides, pistons and rings, cylinder bores/liners, con rods, distributor drive, starter ring gear, flywheel, auto drive plate, camshaft drive belts, camshaft and cam followers, cylinder head gasket, turbo/intercooler units, rocker assembly; push rods; timing gears; timing belts and chains.

Clutch
      Master and slave cylinder, clutch cable and pedal assembly.

Transmission
      Manual Transmission: gears, synchromesh hubs and rings, selectors, shafts, bearings, drive chains plus gear lever and bushes. Automatic Transmission: torque converters, brake bands, valve block, governor (manual and electric) oil pump and seals, drive chains, gears, input shaft oil seal, clutches, servos and modulator valve, bearing plusgear lever and bushes. Overdrive: Gears, shafts and bearings.

Front Wheel Drive Unit
      Crown wheel and pinion, bushes and bearings , plus external drive shafts, universal joints and couplings, C.V. joints and differential unit.

Rear Axle
      Crown wheel and pinion, shafts, bearings, hubs and hub bearings, C.V. joints and differential unit.

Four Wheel Drive System
      Shafts and bearings, plus propshaft, couplings, C.V. joints, front differential: interaxle differential and lock; rear differential and lock.

Propshaft
      Propshaft, universal joints and centre bearings.

Suspension
      Upper and lower wishbones, control arms, stabilising bars with associated ball joints, swivel pins and bushes, displacer units, wheel bearings, tailgate suspension struts.

Braking System
      Master cylinder; brake servo unit, calipers, wheel cylinders, pressure reducing and proportioning valves, ABS pump and control unit.

Cooling System
      Radiator, thermostat, water pump, heater matrix, viscous fan, thermostat housing.

Steering
      Rack and pinion, steering box, idler box, column shaft, couplings, power steering unit including pump, pressure pipes and reservoir, tie rods and tie rod ends.

Fuel System
      Mechanical and electrical fuel pumps, carburetors, airflow meter, fuel distributor, warm-up regulator, cold start injector, fuel gauge and tank sender unit.

Diesel Injection System
      D.I.S. pump and injectors.

Electronic Ignition
      All solid state control and triggering units, where fitted as standard by the manufacturer.

Air Conditioning
      Air conditioning. compressor pump, condenser, fan control, sensor, magnetic clutch and valves, evaporator and reservoir.

Electrics
      Internal failure of the starter motor, alternator, regulator, distributor, windscreen wiper motor, horn, electric window motors and front and rear windscreen washer motors, indicator flasher unit, heating fan motors and cooling fan motor.

Casings
      Casings are covered provided they have been damaged as a result of failure of an insured part or by the consequential damage of an insured part failing.
      Last edited by whippet; 7 April 2004, 11:52.
      Never argue with an idiot... they drag you down to their level - then beat you with experience!!

Comment

"Engine
        Cylinder head, internal bushings, oil pump, crankshaft and bearings, tappet gear, valves and guides, pistons and rings, cylinder bores/liners, con rods, distributor drive, starter ring gear, flywheel, auto drive plate, camshaft drive belts, camshaft and cam followers, cylinder head gasket, turbo/intercooler units, rocker assembly; push rods; timing gears; timing belts and chains"

Har Haaaaaaaaar! can you here the 2.4 owners racing for the phones? I can

Comment

Originally posted by ChasesDragons
          Hi guys,
          I just read up on the Surf's yesterday night and it looks like the perfect next car for me. I think I will get one imported direct (2nd Gen 1992 3l)
          The 3.0ltr did not come in until late 1993.

Comment

"Engine
            Cylinder head, internal bushings, oil pump, crankshaft and bearings, tappet gear, valves and guides, pistons and rings, cylinder bores/liners, con rods, distributor drive, starter ring gear, flywheel, auto drive plate, camshaft drive belts, camshaft and cam followers, cylinder head gasket, turbo/intercooler units, rocker assembly; push rods; timing gears; timing belts and chains"

As I said... The small print would require checking with a microscope.

Comment

I can't, cos all the 2.4 Surfs are over 10 yrs old!
              Pete

Comment

try this one

mb&g insurance do a policy called auto protect premier, their phone number is 0191-2590647. just picked up my '92 gen2 surf today and this came in with the deal! so they must cover surf's over 10 years old. i havent had time to read the paperwork which came with it (too busy looking at my new motor!) but the guy who sold me the car said it covered pretty much everything mechanical and electrical except comsumables (tyres, exhaust ect.) we'll see, as my rear window packed up as soon as i got home, so they'll be getting a call in the morning.
                got to be worth a phone call though.

cheers
                andy crofts

Comment

Warranty

I got my warranty from:

http://www.privatevehiclewarranty.co.uk/

They don't seem to care about age, mileage nor whether it's an import.

It seems to be ok and as predicted, if I have such a thing, I don't use it. Just like the AA!!

Rob
                  Last edited by robnw67; 8 April 2004, 12:13.

Comment

I'm with warranty direct - got 6 months free when I bought Surf, after that they contacted me and offered a further 12 months. this will carry on at every expiry I was told - only drawback is you got to have it serviced at a "VAT-registered garage" every six months and keep the proof that it's been done!
                    Dave

Comment

Thnx a lot for the info guys. This is a great site, my knowledge has gone up a quantum leap overnight.

Warmest Regards
                      Udhi

Comment

Working...
                      X