wvo filtering??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wvo filtering??

found this,sounds good to me.but same person that wrote sells the filters funnily enough??,wot do you guys think?
    Get an old oil drum and cut a 7" circular hole in the top of the lid. I have also fitted a rotary hand pump in mine.

Make sure the drum is clean and free from metal off-cuts before using it and ensure that you file off any rough edges on the hole to protect your filter (once you have a ‘used’ filter, you can trim the material away and use its plastic rim as a ‘liner’

Insert the filter sock (the rigid plastic rim will hold the sock in place).

To increase the life of your 5 micron filters, first pour your oil through a fine metal sieve to get the lumpy bits out! Put the WVO back into the container and give it a week to ten days to settle; you will see a ‘cloud’ forming at the bottom.

I have previously used j-clothes and old pillow cases placed in a metal strainer for the next phase, but found these to be painfully slow compared to a 25 micron filter sock.

So, now carefully pour the clear oil through a 25 micron filter sock, leaving the cloudy stuff in the bottom of the container. If you put in a search on ebay for ‘syphon pump’, you will find very cheap (0.99p plus post) hand operated pumps for cleaning fish tanks, wine making etc. I have found this to be a relatively slow (6.5 litres per minute) but sure method of removing the clean oil from the cloudy stuff.

At the risk of turning this into a blog, many of you have also requested 10 micron filters. It sounded logical, but I wanted to try it myself before selling them. Sure enough, their use DOES improve the life of the 5 micron filters so I have now incorporated one into my system. I have also been asked for 1 micron filters! To be honest I won't be using these because I drive a tractor disguised as a car, but I do now have these in stock.

So, once through the 25 and 10 micron filters, my oil then goes through a 5 micron filter suspended in the lid of a 200 litre drum where it is stored ready for use.

I am frequently asked “how long will my filter last?”. The answer depends entirely on the quality of the oil you are getting, whether you sieve it first, how long you settle it for, how carefully you pour/siphon it off and whether you filter it through your old jeans/ a 25 and 10 micron filter etc before it goes through the final 5 micron filter!!

??

Comment

the guy says he has 1 micron filters............bow locks
      Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

I use six funnels and asda cheapo paper towel
        Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

ok,reading up,"de watering",removing water from the oil,there seems to be 100 and 1 ways??help??

Comment

Have a look for the thread I posted a week or two back. The general consensus was b@llocks to the de-watering. Just pre-filter, settle and final filter. You should be fine.

Btw Ian, I've still got to get round to reading that thread on your system yet. It's bookmarked though.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
              Have a look for the thread I posted a week or two back. The general consensus was b@llocks to the de-watering. Just pre-filter, settle and final filter. You should be fine.

Btw Ian, I've still got to get round to reading that thread on your system yet. It's bookmarked though.
              ty v much,only one other thing confusing me now,after filtering,let it settle for atleast a week,then pump the oil off the top,and leave the crud at bottom??,my question is how do you do this?ie without pulling crud up?all seems a bit hit and miss to me,i understand if your careful you wont pull too much up,but surely u would pull some up??

Comment

if your careful,you will be fine.if you want peace of mindput some fine cloth,say apillow case over the tube end...just get on with it dude
                Last edited by gwh200; 30 June 2008, 20:22.
                Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by breakdowntruck2 View Post
                  my question is how do you do this?ie without pulling crud up?all seems a bit hit and miss to me,i understand if your careful you wont pull too much up,but surely u would pull some up??
                  When I finally manage to get my hands on the oil drum, (still waiting for him to empty it), I'm just gonna fit a modified paraffin tap a few inches from the bottom of the barrel which will then be piped through the final filter.

Comment

What system? or were you talking (erm typeing) to someone else

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
                      What system? or were you talking (erm typeing) to someone else
                      i'd guess yr twin tank

Comment

Originally posted by breakdowntruck2 View Post
                        i'd guess yr twin tank
                        Correct. He's obviously added that much stuff he's forgetting what he's got now.

Comment

Correct. He's obviously added that much stuff he's forgetting what he's got now.
                          True! i never finished it, think i'll work out some way of connecting the two, i liked the way (blizzard", in spain) did his filler neck, so you can fill both tanks from one hole, might have a go at that, cant get/afford enough svo/wvo to justify two seperate tanks,

Comment

When I finally manage to get my hands on the oil drum, (still waiting for him to empty it), I'm just gonna fit a modified paraffin tap a few inches from the bottom of the barrel which will then be piped through the final filter.
                            Hello Matt

We are getting ready to get rid of some drums , do you want me to save some for you ?

BTW was the bistro stuff any good ?

I think the stash is building again
                            Death rides a Black Horse

Comment

Originally posted by John h View Post
                              Hello Matt

We are getting ready to get rid of some drums , do you want me to save some for you ?
                              Yes please.

BTW was the bistro stuff any good ?

I think the stash is building again
                              Not sure yet. Still awaiting the oil drum, so haven't made a start on the filtering yet. It seems right enough though.

Comment

Working...
                              X