Why do CV boots split?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
    Hubs worked out cheaper than 3 cv boot changes.

Hows little asbo shaping up?
    If cv boots goes bust, what does that mean, can i still go driving or is that the motor buggard????

Comment

Originally posted by Cant Get Right View Post
      If cv boots goes bust, what does that mean, can i still go driving or is that the motor buggard????
      CV boot covers the CV joint and keeps the grease in and the dirt out.

CV boot splits and grease escapes, get dirt in there, like going offroading etc. and the CV joint gets worn and costs more to replace than just the CV boot.
      Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Hows the truck behaving after lift? temps ok?
        Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Hows the truck behaving after lift? temps ok?
          Yeh all ok wi truck. just dying to get the big tyres on and bumper up. do u think i could make brackets up if a went to a steel fabricators and got some cut offs?

Comment

Hubs worked out cheaper than 3 cv boot changes.

Hows little asbo shaping up?

Asbo's been moved to a top secret location for further alterations

Still waiting on tyres
            Got 2 x panhards to do.
            Got 2 x front radius arms to do.
            Got 1 x paint wing to do.
            Got 1 x metal rad hose to do.
            Got 1x Snorkel to do.
            Plus other things........................

Rod. I replaced athe CV boot. Took it for an off road play and it thanked me by splitting the boot again.
            Last edited by smiffy; 26 June 2008, 23:16.
            www.scottishmudclub.com for scottish events

Comment

Originally posted by Cant Get Right View Post
              Yeh all ok wi truck. just dying to get the big tyres on and bumper up. do u think i could make brackets up if a went to a steel fabricators and got some cut offs?

Shouldn't be a problem. Its just a square bit of metal with 4 holes. Not sure of exact dimensions. I left the brackers on bumper when i gave it to Alan.
              www.scottishmudclub.com for scottish events

Comment

regarding manual hubs ...... the milners ones (half the price of warns) should do unless you plan some serious rock crawling
                ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Originally posted by smiffy View Post
                  Shouldn't be a problem. Its just a square bit of metal with 4 holes. Not sure of exact dimensions. I left the brackers on bumper when i gave it to Alan.
                  Al get a few bits off metal then lol

Comment

Smiffy, I suggest you get some stickers for ASBO, that'll sort your CV probs.

OK, well it wont, but manual hubs will - for a fair while. AND they are cool!
                    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by BioHazard View Post
                      regarding manual hubs ...... the milners ones (half the price of warns) should do unless you plan some serious rock crawling

Nah they aint. I paid £120 ish for my WARNs from Tony, a pair of Milners ones will cost you £110. The price on the Milners site is EACH.

###### hell Ian, schoolboy error!
                      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

I've just had a guy from an American site offer me a pair of Aisin IFS lock hubs (these are the right ones for a 2nd gen Surf I think? Please someone shout if they arent as I havent ordered yet)
                        Price is $65 including shipping plus a kit to 'rebuild' the hubs with an O-ring and a couple of paper gasets for $10 more). He only ships within the US so I'm going to get them sent to a friend of a friend and get them mailed over.

If they turn out OK I'll report back on them.

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                          Nah they aint. I paid £120 ish for my WARNs from Tony, a pair of Milners ones will cost you £110. The price on the Milners site is EACH.

###### hell Ian, schoolboy error!
                          aint been on milners for a while .......they were less than that last time i looked or have tonys come down in price i thought they were more
                          oh and it was dr blott that told me ......i thinks warns were about £150 + at the time it was a few years ago as i was doing the bodylift on the 2nd gen

Asin hubs are toyota ones .....becareful they may be off a pickup or a 1st gen
                          Last edited by BioHazard; 27 June 2008, 00:48.

Comment

Asin hubs are toyota ones .....becareful they may be off a pickup or a 1st gen
                            Hey BioH
                            Is there any way of telling? I told him it was for a KZN130 Surf and he asked me whether I was after solid axle or IFS. I told him IFS and he came back with the price.
                            Are the pick ups and 1st gens IFS too?

Comment

Originally posted by biosurf View Post
                              Hey BioH
                              Is there any way of telling? I told him it was for a KZN130 Surf and he asked me whether I was after solid axle or IFS. I told him IFS and he came back with the price.
                              Are the pick ups and 1st gens IFS too?
                              yes they are the ln 130 and the kzn130 share the same parts on the ifs

I think that the late 1st gens are the same ........check with nero as he a a working copy of the epc and will be able to help with exact part no's and compassions

I have asin manual hubs on the first gen and they were factory fit
                              Last edited by BioHazard; 27 June 2008, 00:58.

Comment

help with exact part no's and compassions
                                Aye, he's a caring lad.

Comment

Working...
                                X