Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do CV boots split?????

Dont think i caught it on anything.

Is it due to the set up i have. BJ spacers and +3" shocks??? Is it cused by to much down travel in suspension???

Anyone came up with a solution to stop it??????

Thanks
    www.scottishmudclub.com for scottish events

Its a tough one. Like you said... angles dont help the job at all.

best bet is to just rip the front axle out an dont worry about them at all!!

Comment

Originally posted by smiffy View Post
      Dont think i caught it on anything.

Is it due to the set up i have. BJ spacers and +3" shocks??? Is it cused by to much down travel in suspension???

Anyone came up with a solution to stop it??????

Thanks
      if you dont have manual hubs,the buggas split quite often
      Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

With bj spacers you should have cancelled out most of the adverse effects of the suspension lift, maybe a little increase in angles, but sometimes poor quality or improper fitting can shorten the life of cv boots.

or bad driving.
        Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
          With bj spacers you should have cancelled out most of the adverse effects of the suspension lift, maybe a little increase in angles, but sometimes poor quality or improper fitting can shorten the life of cv boots.

or bad driving.

Well if thats a dig at my driving,it cant be that!!!!!
          If it was fitted badly,you can tell Trev. It cant be that!!!!!

So it must be poor quality

Comment

Where did you buy them Fraser?
            Alan

Comment

Where did you buy them Fraser?
              Milners! My mate was wanting stuff for his LC so i just ordered it from there. Dont know if roughtrax are any different

Comment

Milners! My mate was wanting stuff for his LC so i just ordered it from there. Dont know if roughtrax are any different
                Wouldn't have thought so mate, maybe just a duff one or are we talking 4 burst boots?

Check the others for perishing before ordering your new one.
                Alan

Comment

Just seen these on an american forum and have no idea if they are any good and if anyone has any experience of them or anything similar? Scroll down the page to IFS CVS Boots.

Can't say i'm too impressed with the price of their diff breather kit lower down the page though -$40 per axle!!
                  Also on other Toyota vehicles people talk about replacing the CV boots with Porsche ones that cope with the increased angles better but I don't think you can do that with a Surf?

...awaits someone who actually knows what they are talking about to debunk the above

Comment

got a link bio?
                    Alan

Comment

Dunno where that went. Hope this works

http://www.downeyoff-road.com/Chassi...riveTrain.html

Comment

Neoprene might last longer but with increased angles they will still give up. i have manual hubs so not too fussed.
                        Alan

Comment

Neoprene might last longer but with increased angles they will still give up. i have manual hubs so not too fussed.

OOOOOOOoooooooooooooo. Get you with your manual hubs

Dont know whether to run surf as is untill clogs done with, then replace it or do it now so its tip top. Thats if i even take the surf since its been naughty!

Comment

OOOOOOOoooooooooooooo. Get you with your manual hubs

Dont know whether to run surf as is untill clogs done with, then replace it or do it now so its tip top. Thats if i even take the surf since its been naughty!
                            If you offroad with a busted CV boot chances are you'll shorten the life span of the CV joint mate.

An what did the Surf do that was naughty?

Comment

Hubs worked out cheaper than 3 cv boot changes.

Hows little asbo shaping up?
                              Alan

Comment

Working...
                              X