How do you use your's???????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use my Surf for the daily commute.
    I never intended taking it to anywhere like Devils Pit (I did though! ), but got it because I am a Radio Ham (with a postage stamp sized garden) and it is handy for getting onto remote hills/farm tracks, to put up huge wire aerials. It also has room for my kite collection (some of which have very long sticks). I also like to get onto the beach and after getting stuck in the Lincolnshire sand in a Vauxhall Astra, I thought it would save much embarrasment.
    The Surf also has loads of places where antennas can be mounted without major surgery to the bodywork.
    It also tows the caravan well and Lady (ColliexGolden Retriever) looks positively snooty while posing in the back and looking out of the half lowered tailgate window. Hopefully I will have room for my Kayak when I get it- if not I'll have to fit roof bars.
    The Surf still stands out from the crowd. Only last night a group of track workers were admiring it and asking questions about it, outside Swiss Cottage underground station.
    It's only a hobby!

Comment

Ours was bought to combine work and social vehicle. A van gets yukky carrying work tools and lousy for taking/collecting offspring from uni. A car gets trashed for the above reasons........ have since discovered you can do this really fun thing called 'off roading' , might give it a shot one day.
      Had enough... going to live in Spain....

Comment

I bought mine for several reasons.

- For the room inside. I needed a lot of room in the back for two large dogs without putting down seats etc. together with room for people/luggage etc.
        - For comfort. I had a rattly old 4x4 before and I wanted comfort and ease of drive for long hauls on the motorway.
        - For speed. I didnt want to trundle up the motorway at 60 any more!
        - For safety. There are so many morons driving badly on the roads that wanted to be in a vehicle that gave me a better chance of survival in an accident.
        - For off road ability. I live in a village and need to be able to get about in the bad weather, I have to drive across fields to the horses, and need a good off roader ( I like having fun off road too!!)
        - For towing my trailer
        - For its look! I think the Bullet is a gorgeous looking truck!

Generally I use the car to take me to/from the station for work, drive round town, travel distances on hols/visiting parents etc, as a weekend workhorse transporting dogs/building materials towing trailers full of hay, and for off road fun.

And I LOVE it!! It does the job perfectly!
        Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

I got mine for several reasons, 1 , I liked the looks, 2 , I needed something larger for weekend work(it's amazing just how much timber you can get on the roof bars and inside !), 3 ,it's gonna be good for going camping in the summer and finally I fancied a bit of off roading fun.

Comment

i got mine to get to the lawn mower when it runs out of petrol at the bottom of the garden.... it's ok for that. sometimes go to the shops too.
            nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

I use mine for work and pleasure,it gets the "off road" treatment every working day,but is a pleasure to drive on the road too.I also needed a big 5 door 4x4 for the family,after much deliberation between the Surf and a double cab pick up,I eventually chose the Surf as it is a much better all rounder.
              Last edited by RobD; 7 April 2004, 19:59.
              Powered by ????

Comment

i think weve lost the plot here chaps. the post is HOW DO YOU USE YOURS????????
                (\__/)
                (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                (")_(")

Comment

Got mine for work (Self Employed Sparky - amongst other things!) and to commute 120 miles a day into London before I left.

It is excellent at everything I have thrown at it from loading it to the gills with tools and kit, towing, cruising upto Yorkshire, rescuing the wife in the snow, getting round the pit (Big eye opener as to the capabilities!)

As for the buy a sports car and the Surf I am with Fish, got a bike too

Hmmmm, bull bars read this http://www.atsb.gov.au/road/pdf/bull-bars.pdf
                  If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

I use mine for a fair bit of the above and dont give a sh** what environmentalists, analysts or car drivers etc think about me and mine. Dont knock a Surf til you've tried it.

Comment

I bought mine simply because I liked the look of it (a lot) and thought it would be usefull for work as some of the sites we work on were impassable for a two wheel drive motor, so I used it for work with four of us in it for two months then the firm folded and my job now provides a new VW van, which is nice and has a microwave etc etc but I really miss driving the Surf. I actually look forward to the weekend so I can get away from the van (I know, weirdo alert,,, well not to you guys, your probably the same)
                      ...Woodie http://woodie.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/D...%20Surfsml.JPG

Comment

I got it 'cos I used to drive HGV 1 vehicles and prefer the slightly higher positioning and better visibility. It protects my family better than most other vehicles I've owned. I use it for commuting (if you can call 1mile commuting ) and using at my leisure. Was originally getting a Kawasaki ZZR 1100 then a good friend got wiped out and it put things into perspective, so now I drive a 4runner.

Oh and plus I use it offroad for medic support covering MSA rallies, horse trials, 4x4 racing etc

As for bull bars, I've got them and they're staying on and like Neil said, mine too support a large network of lights

As for RTA's, in the 10 years I've been a Paramedic I've never been to an incident where the bullbar has been a contributing factor to the outcome of a pedestrian's survivability (I can't recall hearing about RTA's in which bull bars have been discussed).
                        I agree they will do damage spread over a smaller impact area but it is the Mechanism of injury coupled with the speed (and gross stupidity, alcohol, crap driving!!!) which is the problem.
                        NO WORRIES!
                        Rusty

Comment

love it

i got it cos i love it and my dogs love it simple
                          black n tan
                          black n tan
                          yes i am a dobermann man

Comment

Originally posted by marky
                            i think weve lost the plot here chaps. the post is HOW DO YOU USE YOURS????????
                            i sit in the front right seat pushing the required peddals with my feet and turning the big round thing to the direction i want to go in.
                            mudnstuff.me.uk

Comment

Working...
                            X