alloy wheels on ebay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alloy wheels on ebay

can anyone explain what -15 offset is http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...543%26fvi%3D1t is

If you imagine a line drawn vertically between the mounting face of the wheel to horizontal width of the rim, -15mm is the offset from half way across the horizontal width of the rim. A bigger - number means the wheel will stick out further. Standard surf wheels are (I think!) -8, so -15 really isn't a huge offset. I'm running 10" wide -32 offset wheels, and some guys on here are running -50s.

See this
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

and these

http://www.cheviot4x4.com/shop/Technical/18/

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/at...1&d=1080810503

Comment

And -15 is not massive as he describes plenty surfs run -32 and more
        But they look good for £50 / £100
        Brian

Comment

Got to agree with Yoshie, nice looking alloys, but what size tyres would these take? (Obviously 15").
          Last edited by Scorpion; 26 June 2008, 19:46.
          'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

right spoked to the man he said they are 140mm from edge to the inside of the brake drum, my surf wheels are 90mm so this makes it a more offset of 50mm ,on my surf wheel it says 8 offset i think this is +8

Comment

Originally posted by tom222 View Post
              right spoked to the man he said they are 140mm from edge to the inside of the brake drum, my surf wheels are 90mm so this makes it a more offset of 50mm ,on my surf wheel it says 8 offset i think this is +8
              standard surf rims cross spoke are +8 offset
              JAP4X4PART ¬ THE BIGGEST SURF BREAKER IN THE UK ¬

Comment

standard surf rims are -8mm offset, but they're only 7" wide, those according to the ad are -15mm, but 8" wide.

The offset is a measurement from the centreline of the wheel, to the mounting face, so there are now two variables which affect how much the wheel sticks in or out compared to the standard surf wheel.

The long and short of it is, they will fit, and it's incredibly unlikely you'll get any rubbing issues. If you want the actual figures for the front and rear edge of the wheel compared to the mounting face, here they are: Standard surf wheels (15 J7 ET-8) in green, those wheels (15 J8 ET-15) in red

Inner Rim Edge
                96.9mm
                116.6mm

Outer Rim Edge
                80.9mm
                86.6mm

I think that's the right way round, but it's late i might have got the inside and outside measurements mixed up. Assuming i got them the right way round, it means the wheels (not necessarily tyres are they will sit differently on the wider rim) would stick out from the truck a massive extra 6mm woohoo!!, whilst the inner edge would sit back 20 mm further over the brake calipers/drums, i really don't think this is likely to cause you any problems. I run my muds on 15 J8 ET-8 steels, which would sit back another 7mm further than the alloys on ebay, and never had any problems with them.
                =========
                =SOLD UP!=
                =========

Comment

thanks guys i think ive got it sussed, god all these numbers its like being back at school

Comment

Originally posted by tom222 View Post
                    thanks guys i think ive got it sussed, god all these numbers its like being back at school
                    nice wheels though
                    JAP4X4PART ¬ THE BIGGEST SURF BREAKER IN THE UK ¬

Comment

WOW. They finally went for £280!

Might have paid that if they still had the tyres on.
                      'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

Hahaha! Mental or what? £280 for a set of 2nd hand alloys with two of them pitting!

You can get a brand new set of four 10" wide steels for £200 if you shop around.
                        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Working...
                        X