Aaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrggggghhhh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrggggghhhh

£51 of petrol in the diesel tank tonight. Was still thinking about work. I noticed before moving the truck but when RAC flatbed arrived I had to reverse out from under the canopy anyway so moved about 75 yards in total but I don't believe that is of any consequence. Was quoted £180 to drain the tank by the recovery garage but I got it dropped off at an acquaintance of an acquaintance's place (an MOT mechanic who will do the business tomorrow). I still expect to pay close to £100 as I don't really know him and I suspect he (rightly) looks at me as the fool who will be easily parted from his cash. But I should still pay nearly £100 less than would otherwise have been the case.
    I gave up smoking nearly three years ago but really feel like a fag tonight (and wife still smokes). However, I'll make do with a couple of beers.
    On the bright side, if I hadn't joined this forum I wouldn't even have known that towing an automatic 4x4 is extremely unwise - the RAC were originally going to send a tow truck but I insisted on a flatbed (I didn't even know what that was 6 months ago). So thanks for that.

Bad luck mate, you won't do that again in a hurry.
    Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Ach well - never mind - at least the wife enjoyed a wee hurl in the recovery truck.

Comment

Do it yourself!

Draining the tank is no biggie, and if you pump the new fuel through the filter and reconnect you'll have a minimal amount of fuel to go through the engine. I doubt it will have reached the fuel pump if you only drove from under the canopy.
        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Nothing would give me greater pleasure. But I know nothing about mechanics, I live in a flat on a high street (so have nowhere to do the work), work 50 hours a week (as I'm sure many of us do), and have several other demands on my spare time when I get any. I'm seriously considering one of those evening classes at the local technical college - the 'basic vehicle maintenance' stuff. I know that you probably learn at a snail's pace but some people have few other options. What about one of those techie weekends up here in Scotland where instead of lifting a truck by 9 inches and sticking on 50 inch tyres you just show the diddies like me how to do a basic service. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Comment

I reckon our Scottish brothers would be happy to sort something like that.

These are one of the easiest to work on vehicles I've ever owned, so are a good place to start. I have no-where to work on mine either so I do it either at my mates place, or quicker jobs at lunchtimes at work.

Comment

If theres interest, I would be up for it as long as there was beer and food as well
              Brian

Comment

tbh it happens all the time,the police do it most often lol,and we have regular customers that do it lol,we drain approx 5 to 10 cars a week,and 100 quid is cheap,we charge 280 plus vat plus a pound a litre disposal

Comment

Robbing git!

You're just profiting from peoples ignorance of things mechanical.

Took me and a mate about an hour to sort a Peugeot van, and he had most of the fuel for free too!

Comment

Yes a £1 a litre for disposal ! thats what I paid last year ! I even got a nomination for IOTM as well .

I put it down to stress ! thinking of other things etc

I keep the old receipt from morrisons in the door compartment to remind me how much it cost ! Oh the pain !

Most of the 'disposal' fuel ended up at the local off road track apparently !
                    Death rides a Black Horse

Comment

If you've got a military vehicle society nearby they may be interested in taking contaminated fuel off your hands - they might even pay for it too !

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

i put petrol in a brand new £90 grand truck a while back!!...

luckily only got up to £15 and topped up the further 285 litres with diesel... so not a problem...

still felt a #### though!!...
                        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man View Post
                          i put petrol in a brand new £90 grand truck a while back!!...

luckily only got up to £15 and topped up the further 285 litres with diesel... so not a problem...

still felt a #### though!!...

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                            Robbing git!

You're just profiting from peoples ignorance of things mechanical.

Took me and a mate about an hour to sort a Peugeot van, and he had most of the fuel for free too!
                            not me,the "company" and tbh not many have the proper license to do it

Comment

Originally posted by tavvi View Post
                              £51 of petrol in the diesel tank tonight. Was still thinking about work. I noticed before moving the truck but when RAC flatbed arrived I had to reverse out from under the canopy anyway so moved about 75 yards in total but I don't believe that is of any consequence. Was quoted £180 to drain the tank by the recovery garage but I got it dropped off at an acquaintance of an acquaintance's place (an MOT mechanic who will do the business tomorrow). I still expect to pay close to £100 as I don't really know him and I suspect he (rightly) looks at me as the fool who will be easily parted from his cash. But I should still pay nearly £100 less than would otherwise have been the case.
                              I gave up smoking nearly three years ago but really feel like a fag tonight (and wife still smokes). However, I'll make do with a couple of beers.
                              On the bright side, if I hadn't joined this forum I wouldn't even have known that towing an automatic 4x4 is extremely unwise - the RAC were originally going to send a tow truck but I insisted on a flatbed (I didn't even know what that was 6 months ago). So thanks for that.

he he he you will be called unleaded Tavvi from now on.

done the same myself, but it was a company car. the RAC was called but they could not attend me for over 2 hours (it was in scotland, just south of Glasgow very early on monday morning) so they arranged for a local garage to tow me in and sort it out. only problem was that because it was not the RAC i had to pay for it and claim it back later. The guy took me to a workshop and pushed the car inside and then drove the breakdown truck across the doorway to prevent me leaving without paying.

took about 45 minutes and i was back on my way with a thimble full of diesel in the tank

i was called 4 star Pete for months after
                              Now surfing in the sun

Comment

Working...
                              X