2.4 vs 3.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.4 vs 3.0

hi just a quickie ,after my 1st surf.got a choice of a 2.4 with recent new head,cam belts etc or a newer 3.00 d with 10000k on clock on orig head.Are the 3.00 still gonna fail given time?thanks mark

Originally posted by h20mark69 View Post
    hi just a quickie ,after my 1st surf.got a choice of a 2.4 with recent new head,cam belts etc or a newer 3.00 d with 10000k on clock on orig head.Are the 3.00 still gonna fail given time?thanks mark
    any engine will fail given time!

Comment

if rad , themostat ,rad cap, and coolant is fine would go for 3.o

2.4 are so slooooooooooooooooooow
      Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Originally posted by Cant Get Right View Post
        any engine will fail given time!
        OMG, YOU ACTUALLY MADE SENSE!
        Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post

Infinite number of monkeys?
          Peter

I am not a number. I am a FREE MAN!

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
            Thought id best say summit sensible for a change

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainBeaky View Post
              Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainBeaky View Post
                D

No contest!!! 2.4 every time

(and wot's up with these smilies? clicked the grin three times and got tht above)
                Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
                  D

(and wot's up with these smilies? clicked the grin three times and got tht above)

You gotta put a space between them now Ian like this !!!!
                  'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

i think the problem with that smiley is that a normal one is : D : with no spaces..... :d: So when you get 3 of them you get a normal one an lose one ... i think D

An yeah! 2.4

Comment

:d :d :d
                      Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

really usefull answers................

cheers for all info on how best to use your keyboard but could really do with gettin the low down on the 2.4 vs 3.0 debate I`ve got £2500 hard earned waiting to be spent on your recommendation.Is the 2.4 that slow,is the 3.00 as likely to have a bad head as the 2.4?thanks for your time but i`m new to the surfs and value your opinion.......even tho you lot do go at wierd tangeants.cheers again mark

Comment

You would be absolutely bonkers to spend £2500 on a 2.4!

There are plenty of 2.4 owners here, and a lot of them are totally happy with their trucks. However, I am sure ALL of them would go for a 3.0 given the choice. The 2.4 head design was flawed, so one with an original head is more likely to pop than a 3.0. If the head has been done, reliability should be comparable, but you still have the less power 'con' for no 'pro.

In summary, 3.0 has more power, better reliability (on an original head), no great difference in fuel consumption, and the 3.0 2nd gen should come in well under your budget these days.

Use your head. 3.0 all the way!
                          Last edited by Apache; 22 June 2008, 23:17.
                          Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

you can have my 2.4 for £2500 any day as apache says you would indeed be a mug though.

If i can get another 2.4 for £350 next time round that needs £20 spent to put it back on the road i'll do that again. If not i'll probably go for a 3.0

I'm not gonna stand here and say if i had the choice i'd definately go 2.4 again, but i wouldn't rule another one out yet, I'm on my 2nd and been more than happy with both.

I wouldn't expect to pay more than £1200 for a 2.4, and i wouldn't personally pay more than about £2000 for a 3.0 2nd gen either, unless it had some rather special goodies attached.

That said if i didn't have to and was replacing through choice i wouldn't rush and i'd just keep looking at 3.0 and putting in offers around the £1500 - £1700 mark, look at and drive as many as i could, keep putting the offers in and just be patient about it. The worst they can say is no, and if the seller's not playing ball or you don't like it, walk away.
                            =========
                            =SOLD UP!=
                            =========

Comment

I got a 2.4 and if i could choose again i would have 3.0. more than happy with 2.4 though. Any motor that size and weight should not be driven at high speeds especially wi the crappy brakes. so power aint really an issue, i would say, others will argue but i can pull away from a standing start no prob and tow trailers with cars on them no prob. if u can get a decent 2.4 for a lot cheaper then just spend the rest o money on insurance and pimping it up

Comment

Working...
                              X