RIP Gemma, dog in a million......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Gemma, dog in a million......

Linda wrote this, I can't do any better....

8 years ago a little black Labrador jumped out of a car, trotted over and placed her ball at my feet so that I could throw it for her, and she has done the same thing every morning since then. Tomorrow will seem very strange without that morning ritual.

Gemma was born 10 years ago, and was the smallest in her litter, having to be fed separately so that her brothers and sisters couldn’t eat her food. At 8 weeks old she went up the road to live with Emily and her family as Emily’s 10th birthday present.

Gemma was from working stock, and small for a bitch, but the most intelligent dog I have ever met, she really did know exactly what you meant when you spoke to her! I never had to train my little black dog, she trained herself, and we didn’t even have a lead for the first couple of years we were together. She was fantastic around stock, totally trustworthy running free with hens, sheep, horses etc. They held no interest for her.

We walked miles and miles over the years, just the two of us at first, then a bit later with Poppy, and a couple of years on with Tony too. She always had so much energy, and loved chasing rabbits, and deer and all sorts of scents, but she always came right back if I called her to heel. On one ocassion we were walking back across stubble and met some travellers coursing with a lurcher, before I could stop her Gemma was off after the hare across the field, and actually beat the lurcher!

She was fiercely loyal to her family and friends, and no visitors were left in any uncertainty about the fact that their arrival had been noted and they had better be on best behaviour around Gemma’s home and family. Once we accepted them of course they had to perform the regulation ball throwing.

She loved to lie outside in the field, and later the arena, watching Tony work and supervising everything. She never strayed and was always ready with a very enthusiastic welcome when I came home.

Gemma was a mother figure to Poppy, teaching the scared 6month old pup that life and other dogs can be fun, and they had great games together before curling up to sleep in the same bed. She also gave stability and discipline to Bonnie after her uncertain start.

She loved the truck and cars, and her idea of heaven was to go off somewhere with us, and sleep in the car, she even slept in it at home. She went all over England with us, to Wales, to the IOM, to off road meets and kite festivals. She met many people and touched many lives. She loved water too, and trips to Headley Ford, the river, and the beach were eagerly awaited and much enjoyed, I love thinking of her and Poppy going flat out down the steps and across Daymer beach!

She was there for me in the bad times, coming to sit at my feet or lean her head against me and give comfort, and there in the good times, at parties, holidays and my wedding. A treat for her was being allowed to sleep by my bedside.

My little black dog leaves a very big hole in my life, but part of her will always be in my heart, and I like to think of her running free across the grass at Rainbow Bridge, tennis ball in her mouth, chasing bunnies again, with Cassie and Soltie grazing nearby.

Until we meet again my heart, run free xxxx

My bit...

I loved Gemma in the short time I lived with her after meeting Linda, her and Poppy, she took a while to accept me (unlike the tart Poppy! ) but when I'd proved myself she was my mate and constant companion in all the years I worked at home on my own. Poppy comes and goes (looking for food, then going back in doors to sleep), everyday rain or shine Gem would be outdoors with me, barking her little head off everytime someone showed up and demanding ball throwing once they'd proved not be someone bad.

How many times did I lay under a car only have a soggy ball roll into my ear, or roll onto one and it squish horriblily against my t-shirt.

She wanted to come with me whenever I went out, even just to the local newpaper shop.

I could go out and leave her asleep in the arena, (much to Lindas disapproval ) and she would always be there when I returned.

Many sad moments today, more probably everytime I find a manky tennis ball around the house, garage or garden.

Miss you mate. xx

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

I miss throwing the tennis balls ........sorry to hear of the loss of Gemma
    ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Linda and Tony - I'm really sorry to hear this news - I'd only met Gemma a few times - RTTS and Snorkel day at your place, but she was great fun and a great companion to you ....
      Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Sorry to hear that Tony and Linda.We know what your feeling through the loss of 2 of ours over the last 7 months.
        Linda, Mandy had tears reading what you wrote and it brought memories from when ours passed on.
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Our deepest sympathies go to you both and Poppy. We know what its like to lose a friend and companion.
          Trust your Hound.

Comment

Deepest sympathy for all 3 of you - it's got to be hard to get over the big hole she has left in your lives, just remember her memories will stay forever.

Trev
            Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

O guys wot can one say We DO love our pets to become Family and when they go miss them just the same too.
              pops and anita
              Enjoying Life after Cancer
              Pops

Comment

sorry to hear about your loss what a great dog and friend you had nice to read your message sat with a few tears thinking of my staffie that i lost 6 years ago to cancer had him 16 years they leave us with some great memories.

Comment

Thanks guys, Poppy and Bonnie are looking a little bit lost tonight without Gemma, and we've cried buckets of tears today, but the last good thing you do for your faithful friends is give them peace and dignity at the end.

I know lots of you met and knew Gemma and will share our lovely memories of her.
                  Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

sorry to hear of your loss tony/linda
                    Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

please accept our most sincere condolences

graham and ed
                      Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

i'm so sorry to hear of your loss. i remember the first time i met tony and linda, before i'd even got out of the truck i was greeted with a big wet tennis ball and a black lab with her tail waggiling., asking for her ball to be thrown. she did you pround hold on to thoose memorys.

Comment

Tony, truly gutted for you mate. She was a lovely dog, and I passed many a long hour throwing that damn ball for her while waiting for you to bring my truck back from MOTs...
                          Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

I'm sorry for your loss, my deepest sympathies
                            Hold my beer and watch this

Comment

Sorry to hear your sad news guys. I shall miss being barked at and occasionally slobbered on.

Comment

Working...
                              X