Failed MOT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failed MOT

Took the surf for her MOT today, first one since having her, so was not sure what to expect. anyway they came back out to me with a fail notice in there hands, Gutted he went on to explaine "i'm sorry but we have had to fail the surf" on "split pin missing from front off side brake pad retaining pin" they had no spares so couldn't do anything at the time, plus i had to get back home to get ready for work.

so basically my truck failed on a missing split pin worth around 3pence, that about sums my month up so far.

Not to much of a problem as it will only take about 10 mins to fix, just a pain in the arse
    Roy
    When ya stop having fun, Ya start getting old

That really sucks!!! Guess you'll have a few in the glove box from now on???
    Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Did they offer you a free retest if you went back to them within a short period of time ?

Trev
      Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

That does sound awfully anal of them, especially if they do charge you a retest fee for it. Can't believe a garage wouldn't have any split pins knocking about.

Comment

I agree with Matt on this one Roy...
          I hope u get it re-tested for free...

Glad it went through on the rest tho seen as u hav had enough trouble lately..
          One day at the time I guess..

Comment

That MoT tester is definately yearning for a bullcock up his rear
            I would have lost my rag and torn it up and thrown it back in his face. Worth £40.
            Obviously a safety issue here but at the very least the opportunity to go and get a split pin.
            Powered by Toyota!

Comment

Yes the retest will be free if returned within 10 days, the old split pin is broken off in the hole and would need drilling out i could have gone and got one but didn't have the time as i needed to get to work (where we have thousands of split pins, by the way) the test only cost £25 and i've never had a problem with them before and this split pin is a small one indeed. anything simple they usually fix there and then but this time it couldn't be done.
              Roy

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
                That does sound awfully anal of them, especially if they do charge you a retest fee for it. Can't believe a garage wouldn't have any split pins knocking about.
                The garage is a tyre and exhaust center, MOT's is a side line, so not your usual garage set up, if you know what i mean, its a small family place.
                Roy

Comment

i'd be glad a simple fix/fail,alot of testers seem to like failing on atleast sumthing

Comment

Stripped down the front brakes today and found the pin that holds the two brake pads in is what has broken, its snaped at the split pin, hence, no split pin, so for now i have got a 6" nail (6mm diameter) cut to size with a split pin in the end.

Ill have to try and get one made, i assume its just mild steel, judging by the marks down the side where the last mupet tried to get it out.
                    Roy

Comment

Afternoon m8

Rather than get a new pin made, they ae available from Toyota/Milner and only cost a couple of quid.

As an aside, mine went in for test on Monday (only vehicle i've kept long enouth to test 3 times) - straight through with not a single advisory. Tester did the smoke test twice as he couldn't believe how low the readings were the first time.

happy chappy

ta

hawaii
                      I'm not overweight, I'm undertall!

Comment

I'm a tight git, i've priced them up at roughtrax's and they are £9.99 + Vat (£1.75) + Postage (£4.70) = £16.44 for a pin i can make at work, or if it was straight i would weld it back to length and machine it down to size (working in maintenance has its advantages ).

Mine also sailed through the emmisions no problem
                        Roy

Comment

Working...
                        X