Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Astra 2001 - Some Expert Help Needed!

Hi All,

My wife drives a 2001 Astra 8v 1600 Club Auto.

I normally do all the servicing etc.

I have noticed several things I am concerned about.

1. There seems to be a "mayonnaise" type oil residue that collects around the oil filler cap? There is LOTS of it!

2. The Power Steering seems heavy, I checked the fluid level and its fine although the fluid looks yellow/black through a syringe and stinks. (Vauxhall have their own fluids!).

3. This ###### car uses more petrol than the space shuttle, it is costing us a fortune! is something amiss?

Apart from this the car runs fine!

Any help will be appreciated!

Cheers!

Gary

head gasket?
    Tim
    Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Yup, the 'mayonnaise' is a symptom of water in the oil system. Probably a head gasket.

Dunno about the steering problems though, don't think it's related.

I'd expect a car like that to get at least 35mpg. If it's a lot worse then there is a definite problem. Leak maybe? Buggered injectors?
      Last edited by Slugsie; 9 June 2008, 15:48.
      Paul </Slugsie>
      Immortal.so far!

Comment

Dunno how long you've owned it, but the 8v 1.6 Auto always was extra thirsty. I had a manual one and it would return 38/40 running around, 45+ on a long run. I once took an auto version to Bristol and we had to fill it twice.

The emulsion in the engine is due to the engine breather system, remove and clean the pipes/valves and oil seperator and vacuum pipes....its quite fiddly....then use engine oil cleaner, run engine till hot and then drain out, use the recommended oil for the engine...if you use Castrol, chances are it'll return...short trips will also cause it to come back. Check that the engine is getting to the correct temperature, they suffer from thermostat failures....this is also a common cause of high fuel consumption with this engine!

The power steering is electronic and they suffer from pump failure I believe, I know there are now several companies who make parts for them, otherwise its an exchange rack from a stealer (sorry, dealer)
        What have I told you about thinking Erroll

Comment

Mayonnaise could be caused by doing lots of short trips and condensation on the cap dripping into the oil. A blast should clear that.

When did you last change the ATF? That will cause an auto to be even more thirsty.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
            Mayonnaise could be caused by doing lots of short trips and condensation on the cap dripping into the oil.
            +1, forgot to add it to my rush posting earlier...
            Tim
            Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

my old peugeot would do 50mpg whether i drove it slowly or even more slowly!

the focus will do 42mpg, but i can easily get that down to 30!!
              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by hellmett View Post
                Hi All,

My wife drives a 2001 Astra 8v 1600 Club Auto.

I normally do all the servicing etc.

I have noticed several things I am concerned about.

1. There seems to be a "mayonnaise" type oil residue that collects around the oil filler cap? There is LOTS of it!

2. The Power Steering seems heavy, I checked the fluid level and its fine although the fluid looks yellow/black through a syringe and stinks. (Vauxhall have their own fluids!).

3. This ###### car uses more petrol than the space shuttle, it is costing us a fortune! is something amiss?

Apart from this the car runs fine!

Any help will be appreciated!

Cheers!

Gary

My mates wife had the same car it only had 34.000 miles on the clock when the head cracked?
                1 laidy owner too drove like it was made of gold too
                it should have lasted longer than that
                it must be a very bad common falt
                am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Don't panic over the cream stuff it's normal with those the crank case breather have you checked the tyre pressures on the front
                  www.brydenenterprises.co.uk www.kirstyskids.org

Comment

Working...
                  X