Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Window and No reverse in 4WD

Morning all,
    Has any one had a problem on the rear window of the surf, It works with the Key in the door - Go's up and down but only go's up on with the button in the car. It wont go down. I have check the obvious - IE Fuses and the conections on the switch in the car Any Idears - Also my car will not drive in Reverse in 4WD - It goes for about 2 meters and then somthing seems to be jamming any one had a similar problem?

Originally posted by Justin
    Morning all,
    Has any one had a problem on the rear window of the surf, It works with the Key in the door - Go's up and down but only go's up on with the button in the car. It wont go down. I have check the obvious - IE Fuses and the conections on the switch in the car Any Idears - Also my car will not drive in Reverse in 4WD - It goes for about 2 meters and then somthing seems to be jamming any one had a similar problem?
    The switch in the consol has probebly got crap in it, needs cleaning out. As for the reverse thing, are you going in a straight line or when turning? if your doing it on tarmac or a hard surface it will lock up, 4WD is only for loose surfaces.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
      The switch in the consol has probebly got crap in it, needs cleaning out. As for the reverse thing, are you going in a straight line or when turning? if your doing it on tarmac or a hard surface it will lock up, 4WD is only for loose surfaces.
      Thanks for that Tony. Where did you find out about the reverse Issue ? Also,
      can you explain why it does not do it when you are going forward ?
      It mystifies the hell out of me. , I had a look at the switch, and there does not seem to be any thing in it - any other suggestions?
      All the best
      Cheers
      Justin

Comment

Originally posted by Justin
        Thanks for that Tony. Where did you find out about the reverse Issue ? Also,
        can you explain why it does not do it when you are going forward ?
        It mystifies the hell out of me. , I had a look at the switch, and there does not seem to be any thing in it - any other suggestions?
        All the best
        Cheers
        Justin
        It's common to all part time 4WD motors. It's just seems that the axle winds up worse in reverse than forward (probably because of the shape of the gears (they are not straight cut racing gears but normal angled gears, these will wind up more in one direction than another.

You will find that in forward gear you are OK as long as you don't try to turn a corner - you will really notice it then with the car making a real meal of it and starting to hop on the tyres as they try to slip to unwind the transmission.

Also on an Autobox, the torque converter locks tighter in reverse and allows less slip so that could also make it seem worse.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
          It's common to all part time 4WD motors. It's just seems that the axle winds up worse in reverse than forward (probably because of the shape of the gears (they are not straight cut racing gears but normal angled gears, these will wind up more in one direction than another.

You will find that in forward gear you are OK as long as you don't try to turn a corner - you will really notice it then with the car making a real meal of it and starting to hop on the tyres as they try to slip to unwind the transmission.

Also on an Autobox, the torque converter locks tighter in reverse and allows less slip so that could also make it seem worse.

Cheers
          also notice more with worn tyres... as they will be turning at different rates... especially with 4x4 tyres as there can be up to an inch difference in tyre diameter.
          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Working...
          X