Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A big thankyou to a couple of forum members

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I would like to thank two members upon whom I intruded this afternoon...

You know how it goes, the truck is having a long spell of doing what it says on the tin... so you don't bother tinkering, you just drive it... After all thats what you bought it for...
    Then bang, out of the blue something goes wrong... and immediately you think about all the jobs you should have done and never got round to.

For me it was starter motor brushes... starting has its moments intermittantly... but nothing major... till this afternoon... nothing, not a sausage... solenoid clicked (and pulled strong) so it must be the starter motor... right?

wrong...

I have a split charge system... it always works, never have to mess with it, it does what is says on the tin. (IBS DBi)
    Has a manually connect both batteries switch... (forgotten it could do that! - this is important)

So... TonyN and Jotto take time out of their busy schedules to speak to this blithering twit on the phone this afternoon... general consensus is to beat up the starter motor some... and coax it into starting... so after half an hour of bashing and poking... nothigng, so call the RAC... and he duly turns up...

Describe the mods... that took a while... and talk through the electrics in some detail. Show the guy that I can manually connect the two batteries... and pow it starts... (plenty of swearing silently to myself... both kids in the car) plenty humiliated enough in front of the RAC guy...

So the guy gets all his meters out... and we start checking everything... from the alternator to the starter motor... each section of cable is measured to see if there is any drops along their length... and end result is some very interesting numbers...

Aux battery is toast... (Exide Maximma) Optima Red Top is not best pleased... (but perhaps not toast yet)

Had a second Exide at home, for a future mod... (that mod is now out of the window...) so just finished swapping the battery out and taking my toy for a run to charge them up... Hopefully, with a good aux, the starter battery should balance out nicely, be under a lot less stress and should start in the morning... everything crossed.

Note to self... get a laser thermometer to measure the temps of the batteries... also one of those very snazzy meters that will measure the current flowing down a cable... and a decent portable battery tester... Don't want to get bitten by that one again... extremely embarassing...

Glad it's sorted out Andy, i guess it's better it's the battery as opposed to the starter, (easier anyway), thats called sods law! wont work till the man thats come to fix it turns up
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

thanks Popeye...

Not sure if its worked... need to leave it over night...
      Red Top might be more nadgered than I thought...

Starter could still need the brushes done... another thing that has moved higher up the list...

Comment

Left it longer than I dared...

What with the rain last night upsetting the alarm...
        I am convinced my toy doesn't like sitting in the rain, sitting in a ford upto her waist in water is another matter... she laps that up... very strange...

So she started without any encouragement... she bit as soon as the glow plug beeper went, and I'd turned the key.

So the question is, what could have eaten that deep cycle battery, which are supposed to be able to stand up to a far amount of abuse. Everything on the truck currently is powered up on ignition switched relays... so nothing can be inadvertantly left on (poor memory on my part, something to do with old age, I tend to leave things switched on)... what is left...? nearly all the feeds from the alternator are low loss 'phat' '0' awg or '4' awg cable... all considerably newer than the original. Alternator is already heavily breathed on... charging and storing shouldn't be an issue.

Have I overlooked something...?

Comment

Wish i could help mate, other than a leak to ground (chaffed cable) i've no idea, how old is the deep cycle battery?, any damage to it? i've got a drain somewhere, if i dont drive it for a few days it's flat, new pair of batterys last year (toyota) so i'm putting it down to my wireing efforts, i have got quite a few "added" circuits both ign and constant feed, just cant be arsed trying to find it, it's easier to give it a boost now and then, solar trickle charger any good? if your parked outside all the time, loads of testing i guess
          Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

I have been giving solar panels some thought for some time.
            Trying to find something that is fairly robust... flexible or foldable panels...
            and trying to find someone in the US that will send to the UK... because of the dollar rate... but its still too expensive for me at the moment...

See item 190017385273 on fleabay.uk... its considerable less than that in the states and in dollars too... so you could get 2 1/2 panels for the price of that one. Managed to get a beefy 16amp regulator the other day... just got to find a panel... these Iowa thin film flexible panels are rather nice. http://store.altenergystore.com/Sola...ar-Panel/p706/ nice price too...

Too many other demands on the money at the moment...

Perhaps a small panel may do it - couple of £10 1.5w ones on ebay at the moment.... but I would like to find why it cooked the deep cycle in the first place... that is a real concern... I might get one of thos CTEK chargers and try and recharge the duff deep cycle and see if I can get it to do it again... only trouble is it might stress the red top too much... and I couldn't afford to kill that... (nearly £200 to replace)

It was a good problem though... test the grey matter a little...

I'll just have to go over the electrics... they need a tidy up anyway...

Comment

Working...
            X