head rebuilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• head rebuilt

Had the head on jokers old truckpressure tested and come back ok.There were 5 bent valves so had then renewed,had it re shimmed and skimmed and valve seats cut and degreased and decarbed all for £265.66 so i have a near new head to go back on the other 3.0l i bought.
    I got no.2 and 3 valves down and the timing marks lined up and no.2 and 3 pistons down ready for refitting the head. The mechanic who stripped the old head off has marked the fuel pump which i gather is when he took the t.belt off,can i leave that on those marks or has it got to be reset to the proper marks.I have got a new set of belts to go on so i'm hoping to get it all running over the weekend but i am worried as i have never done the timing before on a motor and not sure if the marks are correct or not.
    Also the mechanic hasn't put all the bolts in the truck so i'm having to find some from the breaker and also he hasn't put in one of the sensors that bolt to the head and has a brown plug to it and vac pipes that go to the egr i think.So if anyone has one of these sensors for a 3.0l can you let me know please.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Just reset it all to the proper timing marks, its far safer and eaiser.

I recently had a 3.0 head checked, that was showing signs of knackered head, but no cracks in the normal places. Had it tested and it was cracked internally by valve guide. Good job I didn't just put it back assuming it was just the gasket!
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Cheers Tony.Thats what i thought but as i've not done this before i thought i would check.Does it sound right about the valves and pistons also.Number 1 and 4 pistons up and 3 & 2 down and 2 of the 4 valves down on numbers 2 and 3 (thats how the engine comp set it). I just want to make sure it's all correct before i go to far and once i done 1 then i'm ok with the next truck well 3.0l anyway.

Comment

Going to get the second gen head checked and skimed ......how much should i expect to pay and is it worth it on returns as to how much it will be worth
        ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

The pressure test was only £30.00 then to get it skimmed was £28.00 plus vat.It will depend if you get them to totally redo the head like i did but if its just a skimm and test then yea it should be worth doing if you want to sell it on. I would think for the complete head you should get a couple of hundred for it as its been tested

Comment

Think i,ll get it checked and skimmed then
            ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Originally posted by BioHazzard View Post
              Think i,ll get it checked and skimmed then
              Owslebury crankshafts http://www.ocservice.co.uk/ in Winchester do all mine.

Although they arn't as cheap as Storms place. £40 to test head.
              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I have got the head fitted now and (fingers crossed) the timing set right as i have never done it before.I done as i have read about and then turned the engine over by hand 2 full turns and re checked the timing marks and everything lines up(so thats something).I got just about everything fitted back on the engine now and just need to double check everything and charge the other battery up and hopefully by lunch time start her up.Once the truck is up and running it'll be up for sale then i'll look for my next one to break or put back on the road.
                I'll post up a couple of pics later of the truck

Comment

The truck is now up and running and sounds and runs really well.
                  The only problem is that its p155ing out oil from somewhere so once its cooled down then under the truck i go to see where the leak is.
                  Temp gauge has stuck at half way for the hour the truck has been running so thats not to bad.
                  Post later when i find the oil leak

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
                    The truck is now up and running and sounds and runs really well.
                    The only problem is that its p155ing out oil from somewhere so once its cooled down then under the truck i go to see where the leak is.
                    Temp gauge has stuck at half way for the hour the truck has been running so thats not to bad.
                    Post later when i find the oil leak
                    hey Rich,

glad to hear that the truck is running well....
                    I am sure the oil leak is something really small and simple....
                    One day at the time I guess..

Comment

Originally posted by TobyJug View Post
                      hey Rich,

glad to hear that the truck is running well....
                      I am sure the oil leak is something really small and simple....
                      u mean like a forgotten pipe lol

Comment

Originally posted by sledge View Post
                        or oil filter, or sump plug
                        =========
                        =SOLD UP!=
                        =========

Comment

Originally posted by nero279 View Post
                          or oil filter, or sump plug

Comment

oh what faith we have in rich's abillity lmao

i wonder if he snapped any bolts lol

Comment

oh what faith we have in rich's abillity lmao

i wonder if he snapped any bolts lol

LOL yeah I have heard about his nickname....
                              Snapper aint it.....

Well I am sure the truck will be fine as I do have faith...!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X