Windscreen question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windscreen question

The rubber around my windscreen is coming loose. Have phoned a couple of windscreen places and they all say that they are not allowed to just 'glue' it back for some reason. They will have to remove the windscreen to replace the rubber, BUT there is a good chance that they will break the windscreen in the process which I will have to then pay for.... All in all it will cost me about £200...
    So, my question is, what is the best product to use to do it myself? (just to glue it back?)
    "Good at cracking bones"

glue ??
    Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
      glue ??
      What kind of glue and where to get it??
      "Good at cracking bones"

Comment

uuhhhmmm....not sure at all.you probably need some sort of mastic to to do the job.probably need tpo dig out some of the old stuff first....but really im not sure
        Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

if the window screen aint stuck in id cut the rubber to get it out easy without
          breakin it as you are renewin the rubber

Comment

Originally posted by SurfingNow View Post
            if the window screen aint stuck in id cut the rubber to get it out easy without
            breakin it as you are renewin the rubber
            I can pull the whole rubber out as is...
            "Good at cracking bones"

Comment

Any other ideas??? Anyone??
              "Good at cracking bones"

Comment

Go to a DIY store, ask for black window sealant and use that, but I would at least trim the existing stuff first...
                Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Originally posted by MudSurfer View Post
                  Go to a DIY store, ask for black window sealant and use that, but I would at least trim the existing stuff first...

THX!! Guess that is something to do this weekend then.
                  What should I clean it with? (sorry for all the stupid Q's)
                  "Good at cracking bones"

Comment

I would try and cut out what you can of the broken bit, clean it with something like soap and water, not white spirit or anything that would dry the rubber and make more of it crack....

The other option, break the windscreen and get it replaced under your insurance for about £60 - which includes a new seal....but I didn't say that...
                    Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Originally posted by MudSurfer View Post
                      I would try and cut out what you can of the broken bit, clean it with something like soap and water, not white spirit or anything that would dry the rubber and make more of it crack....

The other option, break the windscreen and get it replaced under your insurance for about £60 - which includes a new seal....but I didn't say that...
                      The rubber is all in one piece, no broken bits!!

How long will it take the insurance company to replce the windscreen or can I get it done and then claim it back (and I didn't ask this Q)
                      "Good at cracking bones"

Comment

put a crack in it and claim on your insurance, you just have to pay you excess then, mine was £50.00

oops just read the post above, they will normally do same day through autoglass or another company
                        SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Can I just use washing up liquid?
                          "Good at cracking bones"

Comment

Originally posted by charvell View Post
                            put a crack in it and claim on your insurance, you just have to pay you excess then, mine was £50.00
                            The only thing that I am worried about is if I have to get it "cleared" through the insurance company before I can get it done??
                            "Good at cracking bones"

Comment

check policy for windscreen cover excess.
                              crack windscreen, call insurance, job done.
                              Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Working...
                              X