yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking of buying... Have a couple of questions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of buying... Have a couple of questions!

Hi all,

I'm hoping to start racing in the TVR Tuscan series next season and am just starting to think about basics I'll need before buying/building a race car. The first thing I'll need is a tow car and to be honest, I have no experience with such things!

So first question, is a Hilux Surf a good tow car? (car will be around 1100kg + some sort of trailer) If it isn't then I should probably look elsewhere...

If it is, I'm attracted to the Hilux because they seem to be going for great prices right now whilst having plenty of room inside for tools etc and they look pretty cool I reckon. On the mechanical front however, all I know is that they are famous for being as strong as an ox.

Would I be best off looking for a 2.xL or 3.0L Diesel and in auto or manual? Are there any differences between import and UK spec? And is the insurance affected a great deal by this?

Then if this all fits the bill, what kind of problems do Hilux Surf's encounter? I've not owned a diesel before, or a 4x4 for that matter so it would be a learning experience but I'm pretty confident doing mechanical work, so hopefully I can undertake most maintenance myself, though some things I am happy to leave to the professionals!

I'm looking to sell my daily hack for around £3-4k and after seeing some of the current prices for 92/93 models, thought I might be able to get both a Hilux and trailer with a bit spare to add to the race car fund. This would see me buying a Surf around the 100k mile mark - are there any issues to look out for on a car of this age? I could potentially push the budget a bit higher if it was really worth it, but I'd rather put it into the race car if at all possible...!

Anyway sorry for the long post, thanks in advance for any help!

Welcome to the nuthouse ........beware the squirrel

TBH the 92-93 surf is a 2.4ltr td and is not as good a a 3ltr for towing , Most surfs are autos but manuals are available ,
    The 2.4's get cracked heads if overheated
    the manuals have a dual mass flywheel that can be a bugger
    Oh and diesel surfs will run on veg oil

lots of info here
    http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/info/faq.htm
    ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

hello and welcome, have to echo Bio-hazzard and say go for 3ltr if you're towing. And try and get a burgundy one too as they look great. As for specs, import models tend to have more stuff and trim compared to UK (4runner) models. This is based on the few 4runners I've seen in my area, they all look lower spec than the import surfs. As for insurance couldn't really comment on the difference, good place to try is Ardian Flux. As for your budget, you'd get a really nice 3ltr 2nd gen and probably enough for your trailer too. So happy surfing
      Hold my beer and watch this

Comment

Working...
      X