Any gardeners?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any gardeners?

I found something when I was digging my lawn the other day. No photo, sorry, it looked like a straight maggot but 3-4cm long and about 1cm wide. Kind of a rich brown colour. It was totally still but the end of it moved around really slowly and made the girls scream.

I'm guessing some kind of beetle pupa. I want it to be a may bug since I found out their actual name is a 'cockchafer' but I presume it's going to be something with a less funny name.

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
    I found something when I was digging my lawn the other day. No photo, sorry, it looked like a straight maggot but 3-4cm long and about 1cm wide. Kind of a rich brown colour. It was totally still but the end of it moved around really slowly and made the girls scream.

I'm guessing some kind of beetle pupa. I want it to be a may bug since I found out their actual name is a 'cockchafer' but I presume it's going to be something with a less funny name.
    I thought a sporon was a cockchafer!

Comment

i think the grub you are describing is called a leather jacket http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/advic...eather_jackets
      does this help?
      Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

dunno wot they called but they totally f**ed ma grass up. got an infestation o them. straight to b&q to get stuff for it. grass coming back now

Comment

could it be a hawk moth look at the elephant hawk moth it shows the pupa just a guess really as i seen something like that once n it was a hawk moth

http://www.uksafari.com/moths.htm

Comment

bottom of this page shows hawk moth pupae
            Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Originally posted by pirate-storm View Post
              could it be a hawk moth look at the elephant hawk moth it shows the pupa just a guess really as i seen something like that once n it was a hawk moth

http://www.uksafari.com/moths.htm
              Top marks to that man. That's exactly what it was. Just came back to post this pic and say it looked like some kind of moth (which is what this is). God it was sick.

Comment

heres info on a may bug
                http://www.the-piedpiper.co.uk/th11e(12).htm

Comment

nice one Wil, your on top form i see

Comment

Hey Adam, keep it in a large tupperware box with holes in lid in the shade and not too hot and it will emerge, they look awesome.
                    Alan

Comment

Top marks to that man. That's exactly what it was. Just came back to post this pic and say it looked like some kind of moth (which is what this is). God it was sick.

to see it before it goes into pupa stage there is what looks like a little horn weird to see but beautiful to see when it comes out as a moth

Originally posted by mud skipper View Post
                      nice one Wil, your on top form i see
                      i knew ive seen it before but had to check as ive seen them but i was going by what sancho said n thought hmmmmmmm i'll check they are big n beautiful when they fly about worth seeing m8
                      Last edited by pirate-storm; 12 May 2008, 23:51.

Comment

I have an actual phobia of moths. I can't believe I touched it now.

I'd be tempted to keep it and hatch it actually, but it's back in the soil and will no doubt be flying at my eyes in a couple of weeks.

Comment

if it's this one it could end up with a 135mm wingspan!

http://www.uksafari.com/deathshead.htm
                          Alan

Comment

you could always go fishing and stick it on your hook as bait, beats wiping it off your windscreen in a few weeks time, plus you get the satisfaction of eating the trout you catch with it

Comment

They have an annual invasion of moths called Bogongs in Sydney as they migrate. I used to really like that.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jeDvgbJigg

Comment

Working...
                              X