To work by bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To work by bike

As I've no shocks, and the weather is nice, i thought I'd dust the bike off and cycle to work.

Took me ten minutes. Takes me ten minutes by car. Figure that out!
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

A bit dangerous mate, I assume the bike has no ARBs and as I've recently spied photos of you in Wales. I imagine the body roll would be out of control
    Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
      As I've no shocks, and the weather is nice, i thought I'd dust the bike off and cycle to work.

Took me ten minutes. Takes me ten minutes by car. Figure that out!
      Umm, you either got a slow car or you can cycle really really fast?

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
        A bit dangerous mate, I assume the bike has no ARBs and as I've recently spied photos of you in Wales. I imagine the body roll would be out of control
        Gyroscopes

Its harder to fall off than stay on! Mind you, I was very aware of some truly dreadful standards of driving!

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
          Gyroscopes

Its harder to fall off than stay on! Mind you, I was very aware of some truly dreadful standards of driving!
          It's all these idiots in the big 4x4's!
          Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Its amazing how fast cycling actually is.

My commute in is 17.1 miles on mostly fast dual carrigeways. In the truck it takes ~30mins doing mostly 56mph.

On the bike it takes just over an Hour and I'm certainly not doing 28mph lol

Its free on the bike too

Cheers

Chris
            Signature stolen along with Surf...

Comment

Actually, i'm gonna fly the 4x4 flag here - a woman in a Defender gave me the most space of anyone this morning, and waited behind me for 15 seconds or so until there was a space in the traffic rather than squeeze past.

A grey Peugeot 405 Estate passed me and immediately (and I mean immediately, I had to stop) turned left across me into a petrol station. He got a blast of my horn (I shouted 'w*nker'! at him)

Next, a Kia small car went to overtake me as I was turning right (in a filter lane!!) but I gave her my best hard thug look and she decided against it.

I cant believe people could be in such a hurry that they risk an accident to save a fraction of a second. Morons!

Comment

I'm on my bike this week as well, I have the similar scenario. It takes between 8 & 12 Min's by car 7 Min's on bike and 22 Min's walking!

Mark.........
                Let taste be the enemy of art!

Comment

Welcome to the world of bike riding Andy. It's always quicker for me to cycle everywhere but that's part of being in London.

People turning left on top of you is something of an occupational hazard. Best to keep just in front or behind every car where there's a left turn coming up.

Now you know why cyclists act the arse when you get near them. On most occasions, you've already had two or three attempts on your life by the time you're halfway there.

The best advice I have is to 'be big'. Don't stay too close to the curb, get right in the middle of filter lanes etc etc. Sometimes you just have to make people treat you like a car - if you try to hide you'll get glanced at some point but very few people will drive straight into you.

Incidentally, I have never got a honk, rev or angry look for behaving like this. Swerving around and behaving unpredictably is what seems to infuriate drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by MrE View Post
                    I'm on my bike this week as well, I have the similar scenario. It takes between 8 & 12 Min's by car 7 Min's on bike and 22 Min's walking!

Mark.........
                    Probably take me 22min just to get on the bike these days
                    Brian

Comment

do these "bikes" come in petrol and diesel ?
                      Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

No, generally fuelled by porridge or toast. Way cheaper than diesel

Comment

If god had wanted me to ride a bike he would not have made me a fat barsteward..................
                          Working at last.......

Comment

I gave up commuting by push bike as soon as I got my motorcycle and car licenses (1979/80) Kept a bike at the zoo to get around the 110 acre site but that was about it…..

Now I own two bikes and will be buying a third next week…. and I’d like a new replacement for my old mountain bike as well. I’m really enjoying cycling and I’m so much fitter than I was.
                            Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

Originally posted by LURCH View Post
                              If god had wanted me to ride a bike he would not have made me a fat barsteward..................
                              Doesn't stop me.................

Comment

Working...
                              X