Visiting a breakers - tow bar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visiting a breakers - tow bar?

I'm probably visiting a breakers on bank hol Monday who say they have a Surf with a tow bar on it that I can have for £65 (the tow bar not the Surf).

I don't want to tow anything at the moment but thought it can't hurt to have one on to use as a stronger recovery point in the future. Of course if it hangs down too far and will just act like a plough I'll leave it.

question is.. is there any way I can judge how sturdy the bar is or whether its rated as I guess if its used for recovery it needs to put up with many tons of strain? They reckon they are easy to get off one vehicle and on another but I thought they were often welded on?

Any thoughts on removal re-fitting and is a tow bar really more trouble than its worth off road?

thanks

You can buy them cheaper than that brand new, on-line! (without the electrics though)

I'll see if I can find the link........

They're bolted on by the way.

Comment

The Ebay link shows invalid item now, but the guys number is in this thread....

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ow+bars&page=4

Comment

thanks

Thanking you kindly Mr Whacker!
        From looking at some of the other threads on here it seems that some have had problems fitting them themselves, or have I got that wrong? I was just thinking one already on a Surf might be easier just to slip on?

Also are they a real pain offroad?

cheers

Comment

Originally posted by pnuk View Post
          Thanking you kindly Mr Whacker!
          From looking at some of the other threads on here it seems that some have had problems fitting them themselves, or have I got that wrong? I was just thinking one already on a Surf might be easier just to slip on?

Also are they a real pain offroad?

cheers

They're only a problem when the tow ball is fitted, the truck has a saggy arse, and steep inclines are negotiated.
          The bars in the above thread have virtually no overhang so they should be OK. I agree though, a lot less hassle if the bar has already been fitted to a Surf.

p.s. I don't have a tow-bar....yet.

Comment

tow bars

Hmmm... tempting then... amongst all the other tempting add ons!

Is there any way of judging their general sturdiness by looking?

Comment

Parts

If the breakers happen to have a 3rd gen for breaking can you let me know. I'm in West London and looking for rear wind deflectors and rear offside corner bumper etc.
              Thanks Philip 07966 903923
              Still Searching,
              Dick Whittington

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post

p.s. I don't have a tow-bar....yet.
                You will probably need a wheelie bar though Vince..............
                Working at last.......

Comment

You don't need a tow bar as a recovery point, the holes welded to chassis are more than adequate. A couple of 8mt 7t strops will be fine with 2 D shackles.
                  Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

tow bar or not tow bar

Phillip: if I do go I'll look out for you and let you know if they have.

Kerrsurf: I have just got myself an 8m strop to use as a bridle with 4.75 ton bow shackles with a 4.5 meter nylon rope to attach to it which means it pulls pretty straight. so maybe I will stick with that.

Cheers all

Comment

Hi mate, i got one of those cheap bars that Vince linked to, for the money their very good/strong, you will need to drill a couple of holes tho as i'm sure they were made for the pick up which must be slightly different from the surf.
                      it aint no big deal tho, if i can fit it anyone can, ya dont get electric's or the ball hitch but looking at the difference in price there a good deal, a chinese "job lot" i think so he may not do em anymore,
                      Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Breakers

Phillip- just to let you know they only had a 2nd Gen that had been pretty well stripped already and never had had a towbar anyway.

Comment

Working...
                        X