veggie oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• veggie oil

I have a 2.4 surf and own a fish and chip shop (guess whats coming next) can I run my surf in veggie oil without coverting anything? Any ideas?
    Phil

Originally posted by philsheff View Post
    I have a 2.4 surf and own a fish and chip shop (guess whats coming next) can I run my surf in veggie oil without coverting anything? Any ideas?
    Phil

if your veg oil is clean and not setting soild
    may be a mix of diesel you should be ok
    but to be on the safe side take some pics
    show us
    there is plenty of veggy use's on here that will know
    am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Mmmmm chips....

As far as I know you can run diesel engines on m ost kind of oils with rudimentry filtering as long as the weather is warm enough to keep the oil thinned enough.
      However........
      Though they will run on it if it is untreated oil that has been used to cook it will damage the engine over time due to acids and water in the oil. It ends up being a false economy as you will destroy your engine earlier than you would have using the more expensive diesel from the pump.
      If you want to use this oil to run your Surf, you can convert it to biodiesel in your shed for little outlay and its not too complex. Have a look at http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel.html

Comment

Read the veg thread in the sticky section ......expect to replace your seals in the injector pump ......Dieselbob costs about £250 i think but you will have a veg proof injector pump with Viton seals , or even better buy one that need to be refurbished and send that off then sell yours

The seals will go eventually but you will save on running costs in the long run
        http://forums.bauchan.org/4x4/viewforum.php?id=31
        Last edited by BioHazard; 1 May 2008, 00:32.
        ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

thanks guys, the oil we use is parm oil which i know i cant use as it stes solid overnight, but veg oil from the supermarket or cash and carry i have been told is ok with a 50/50 mix with normal diesel. I dont want to bugger my surf up but buggering browns lot appeals to me, ha ha

Comment

Or start useing rapeseed oil in your chip shop, profiet on the chips, claim the vat back, stick it in the truck (after filtering) works out all round
            Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

isn't there something about not using it coz of fatty acids and stuff clogging your lines if it's been used for cooking meat? not sure if meat covers fish aswell?

palm oil is a definate no no anyway, not sure if you can use palm oil for biodiesel production or not though
              =========
              =SOLD UP!=
              =========

Comment

i was told dont know if its right
                if your log book says heavy oil engine it will run on most oils
                if it says diesel engine you may need to keep it mixed or buy some kit

surf are heavy oil by the way
                am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

in my understanding all diesel engines use heavy oil and petrol engines light oil, its diesel that is classed as heavy oil.

Comment

thanks guys, the oil we use is parm oil which i know i cant use as it stes solid overnight, but veg oil from the supermarket or cash and carry i have been told is ok with a 50/50 mix with normal diesel. I dont want to bugger my surf up but buggering browns lot appeals to me, ha ha
                    Well change to Pura or similar then filter it when used. If you have seperate friers for chips and one for deep frying I would use the stuff the chips got cooked in. {no animal fats} Filtering is easy and filters are cheap.

O and diesel is not a heavy oil.
                    Brian

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
                      Well change to Pura or similar then filter it when used. If you have seperate friers for chips and one for deep frying I would use the stuff the chips got cooked in. {no animal fats} Filtering is easy and filters are cheap.

cheap as chips in fact!

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post

Diesel is made from heavy crude, petrol is made from light crude.

Diesel takes less processing, and (AFAIK) can be made from North Sea crude rather than imported crude as per petrol. Thats why diesel is 10p a litre dearer...

Errr...

Um...
                        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

if anyone would like the best fish and chips in sussex we are in worthing on the A24 just before mr browns money box

Comment

if anyone would like the best fish and chips in sussex we are in worthing on the A24 just before mr browns money box
                            Says you!

I think you need to send out some free samples to the silver star members for testing, then if we approve, we'll be down there buying more.

Comment

says my punters.
                              Sorry mate dont deliver to south wales, a bit far. Anyway I will give a discount to members of this site

Comment

Working...
                              X