Breaking Surf, need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaking Surf, need advice

Before I start, I'd like to make it clear that at this stage I am NOT breaking a Surf, and any requests for parts will be ignored. Should the time come I will go about this in the proper manner - i.e. pay the fee and use the right forum.

Right. The time has come to decide on what to do with my old 2.4. It's been sitting in my front garden doing nothing for a while now except donating the odd part to my 3.0. With the way the market is heading I don't see it as being financially worth my while to try and get it running again and sell it as a runner. So, that leaves either selling it as a scrapper, or breaking it myself.

The problem with breaking it is that I don't have much space to do it. I have no garage, and so it'll all have to be done in my (very small) front garden, which creates a bit of an eyesore for me and my neighbours. If I decide to take that hit for a couple of months and strip as much usefull stuff off how easy do you reckon it'll be to get a scrap yard to come and remove the shell (possibly with no axles/wheels etc)? They'll need to use a crane, and get it pretty much over a low wall and round a tree. Would it likely cost me money to get a scrap yard to do this, or would they take the potential profit from selling that on as payment?

So, what advice can you guys give me?
    Last edited by Slugsie; 29 April 2008, 10:58.
    Paul </Slugsie>
    Immortal.so far!

save it a few more mounths

till i got some cash
    am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Mate, have you got a....................

You're be better off stripping it where it is till it starts to look to scruffy, and then strip it out completely, storing everything you might sell in a shed, and then chop up the chassis and body into managable lump and borrowing a little trailer and taking it to a metal recyclers. You'll make cash on the scrap, no one round heres give you anything to take cars away. Not sure what its like round your way.

I can generally get £40-50 for a trailer full of chopped up chassis and bodywork locally, if the block/head and other scrap is in there you'll get more.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Around here they will pick it up with a crane and give u a few ££ for it...
        I had one of my Honda legend shells picked up not long ago and they gave me £70 and had a struggle to get it out...

I wud just break it in my garden...lol
        One day at the time I guess..

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
          Mate, have you got a....................

You're be better off stripping it where it is till it starts to look to scruffy, and then strip it out completely, storing everything you might sell in a shed, and then chop up the chassis and body into managable lump and borrowing a little trailer and taking it to a metal recyclers. You'll make cash on the scrap, no one round heres give you anything to take cars away. Not sure what its like round your way.

I can generally get £40-50 for a trailer full of chopped up chassis and bodywork locally, if the block/head and other scrap is in there you'll get more.
          To be honest, once I've stripped anything easily sellable out I'd be quite happy if someone just took the shell away for nothing. If I can get a few extra £££'s then it's a bonus. Head would be sold separately as it was brand new.

Looks like I might need to invest in a small shed for the back yard.
          Paul </Slugsie>
          Immortal.so far!

Comment

Hi Paul,
            There is a firm in Blackburn who take away and pay about £60. I`d check if there are any local to you- normally advertise in local free paper under car-recyclers. "Travellers" will most certainly take the metal awat for free.
            I could help if you go the chopping up route- I`m good with a grinder!
            I could also help by offering some storage space- at the moment I have an empty garage. (I know what your thinking but you could security mark the parts